PDA

View Full Version : Thankful for block heaters!

Shikaroka
02-05-2007, 09:09
I am glad I decided to plug in my block heater last night.
And, I am VERY glad that it worked, as it was the first time I had tried it.
When I went to leave this morning, it was 3 degrees!
The truck fired right up and warmed up pretty quickly. It does make me wonder how easily it would have started without the block heater though.

AndyL
02-05-2007, 11:42
Mine started pretty well at -6F Sunday morning! No block heater.

RT
02-09-2007, 22:31
I plug my truck in every night when the temps are below freezing. Why not? Sure it starts fine without the block heater but it is much happier and blows heat quicker when I plug her in. I have it on a timer that kicks on a 3am that way she is toasty at 7am when I leave. RT

Shikaroka
02-10-2007, 15:08
Why not? Sure it starts fine without the block heater but it is much happier and blows heat quicker when I plug her in.

That's the way I feel.

Is there any harm with leaving it plugged in for extended time periods?

winemaker
02-10-2007, 17:42
A customer of mine is on his 2nd Dodge diesel. Both trucks have been plugged in every day he has owned them. I always figured it's a little overkill, but I wonder if it can harmful?

NH2112
02-10-2007, 18:08
Well, the more the heater's used the faster it'll wear out, but a block heater costs less than batteries or a starter that fry because you have to crank for extended periods. The standard 6.2l/6.5l GM block heater is 600W which means leaving it on for 5 hours only uses 3 kW-hr of energy, so your electric bill shouldn't be outrageous either.

Artworks
02-11-2007, 07:44
When my original motor went and had to replace, I stated I wanted 2 block heaters, one each side, best option you can have. I had this in my old '83 460 F_ _ d ( whoops, the F word!!) warms up all the cast in the block and also the trans. real good on those winter times when we get -30 C plus a wind chill. Only draw back is some electrical is little weak to carry both.