PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather and FPPF additive works!

DennisG01
02-06-2007, 10:36
This is a follow up post from a few weeks ago. I had been inquiring as to whether or not an additive would work well enough against gelling when mixed with straight #2. Since it's been around 0* here over the last couple of days, I figured this would be a good test. The answer is, yes, it works fine. I used FPPF at the middle strength (as listed on the back of the container) and had no problems starting/running the truck (other than weak batteries). Just wanted to offer this as an FYI.

chickenhunterbob
02-06-2007, 11:40
Just curious,

Did you also have a sample in a jar to verify whether or not the fuel without treatment did actually gel?

I'm somewhat skeptical of fuel additives or their claims although I do use Stanadyne additive faithfully with each tank.

They claim improved mileage, although I drove for 25,000km with no additive, and the next 25,000 with Stanadyne performance, and noted no increase whatsoever, in fact a tiny decrease, but I don't attribute that to the additive, just typical variations in mileage.

Also, they claim it to reduce the pour point, and prevent gelling. I can't see how, the stuff freezes solid in the container in the back of the truck at about -20C. Perhaps the chemical properties somehow change when combined with diesel fuel, I don't know.

More power, so they say, I can't verify that one way or the other.

More lubricity, they claim, and this is perhaps why I continue to use it even though all of the other supposed attributes do not appear to me as they are advertised, although I also use a small amount of 2 stroke oil.

I think while 0 F may be nearing the limit, our trucks could probably run just fine on straight #2 very near that point. The tank has a bypass to pull fuel around the "sock" should it gel, and the fuel manager heats the fuel at the filter as it passes on the way to the injection system.

Point is, I don't think simply having a truck run at around 0 degrees is necessarily an accurate test of a fuel additive.

Not in any way intending to knock your results, just a few rambling thoughts...

DennisG01
02-06-2007, 12:29
Not at all - you bring up good points. No I didn't/don't have a sample. However, here's a little more detail, if it helps. The tank was last filled around early November with straight #2 from a truck stop station. Also, the truck had been sitting for atleast a week through all this recent cold temperature before I used the truck - enough time (I guess) for the whole tank to gel up, if it was going to. Who knows, maybe it would've run just as good without the additive in this cold weather. But I'll try that test on someone else's truck - you know? ;)

Power/mileage gains? I agree with you - miniscule, if any. However, like you, I use it mainly for lubricity - also hoping that the "injector cleaning" they claim is working, too.

oilburnertoo
02-06-2007, 12:50
I can attest that it works as far as for gelled fuel. We used to have a F**d diesel at work that every time the temps went below about 20* the fuel would gel and the truck would stop running [or only idle bad] if it didn't get fuel conditioner added at fill up [drivers responsibility] We would pull it in the shop and let it thaw out put FPPF in [its all we used] the tank and it would be good to go until the next time the driver forgot to add the FPPF Total Power or Polar Power. They also make a product called Melt Down, it works as long as the truck will run and the fuel is flowing a little bit, it will get to the point in the line where the fuel is gelled and in about 5 minutes break loose the clog and your back in bussiness and on the road again.

Kennedy
02-06-2007, 16:02
FPPF is all that I use. Unfortunately what worked last year is not cutting it this year. I think I got a bad load of fuel OR the new ULSD is just that bad.

Anyhow, FPPF Total Power in all my fuel in all my diesels without question...

Mark Rinker
02-06-2007, 16:11
I am a fan of FPPF, but even running it 2x strength didn't overcome the tank of fuel I purchased at Flying J in Des Moines early Monday AM. It was even 5-8 warmer there than the -16 in Minneapolis. Didn't have any meltdown to try. Next time I guess.

Ended up changing the fuel filter and continuing to Kansas City, where it was a balmy 8 - 10 degrees...on the positive side.

Seems that fuel quality is varying widely up here as well. Lots of issues during the cold snap.