PDA

View Full Version : Service Engine Light, fuel tem sensor?

oldracerguy
02-06-2007, 16:36
I was driving to work the other morning with temps around -5, I was taking the back roads and driving 60 plus in 10 inches of fresh snow and my service engine light comes on. I changed the filter, put some 911 in the tank, had the code reset, and all is well. Now my service engine light is on again? I also just started using my block heater. I have used it before parked outside without any issues, now I am using it plugged in with my truck in the garage?:confused:

2002 dmax crewcab 2500hd, edge with juice monitor, 98k for miles.

Any thoughts?

More Power
02-06-2007, 22:00
Welcome to the board!

There have been some odd engine system behavior reported in years past after using the engine block heater. Some feel an improperly grounded outlet or power cord might contribute to stray voltages that do odd things to the vehicle electronics. If the problem isn't repeatable when not using the block heater, but is when using it, then you've narrowed it down a bit.

So, always use a heavy duty grounded power cord plugged into a properly grounded outlet. For additional protection I use a GFI outlet, and I always unplug the block heater before attempting to start the engine. :)

Jim

Kennedy
02-07-2007, 08:14
Using the block heater can result in false trouble codes. GM has struggled with this for years. It's even wors now on the LBZ with hard shifting and limp modes. :rolleyes: Essentially what the system is doing is watching temp sensors to be certain that they are not skewed and the use of the block heater (larger than necessary IMHO) skews them. There was a programming update for this IIRC and it may not have been applied to yours.

I don't park my trucks outside these days unless necessary. When I do, I use my Proheat oil pan heater. No I don't get instant hot air and it doesn't crank as good as having a block heater, BUT i have a pan of nice warm oil to lubricate my engine and only 250w of power consumption so I can run longer/more steady.

Power Service 911 is only for emergencies and regardless what the claims are contains alcohol so be sure to use only when absolutely necessary. A plugged filter can be easily dignosed with a filter restriction gauge.

DmaxMaverick
02-07-2007, 12:43
Power Service 911 is only for emergencies and regardless what the claims are contains alcohol so be sure to use only when absolutely necessary. A plugged filter can be easily dignosed with a filter restriction gauge.

OK. This concerns me. The Powerservice product description and the bottle states it contains no harmful alcohol (there are many types of alcohol). Their product description can be seen HERE (http://www.powerservice.com/diesel_911Winter.asp).

FPPF, on the other hand....Their product description for all 3 products can be seen HERE (http://www.fppf.com/WinterProtectionAd_2006.pdf).

Total Power and Polar Power state specifically no alcohol The Melt Down description does not state "no alcohol". Does that mean it has alocohol? My guess is, it does.

Just a guess, but I don't see a reason these products, among others, would not use the same methods for emergency conditions. It could be all these products are identicle behind the label. They all make the same claims, and they all work. The problem with alcohol is its reaction with aluminum and dispersal of lubrication. This could be an issue with prolonged usage, but in an emergency, I don't think a short period of alcohol use would cause any long term damage. Remember, we are talking about an emergency, and a one-time use.

cwood
02-07-2007, 20:55
I had 4 codes set off when I plugged in my LBZ. The diesel tech at the dealer said this would happen if it was not below zero and I plugged in. He then said that they could re-program the computer and I could get a different cord that would allow me to plug in when above zero. I have not done either of these yet. has anyone heard of having to change the cord along with the re-program? will this fix the problem?