PDA

View Full Version : Deeper Problems?

6.5 Detroit Diesel
02-06-2007, 19:52
Okay, I had posted earlier about my turbo sounding like a kettle. I had acted on the information that was provided and it seemed to stop for a short time. Now it is back and worse than ever. Almost any throttle now and it squeals. Also, when it is "kettling" my oil pressure gauge will jump up and down in pressure. The truck is also making a ticking noise now and it is slowly getting louder. It sounds like a exhaust manifold leak would on a gas engine. I have a set of gaskets for the exhaust so I plan to do that soon. Is there something else that could be making my turbo make this noise? I can notice that I don't have the same power as before.

redbird2
02-07-2007, 00:01
what kind of end play and laterial shaft movement do you have on the turbo, is the inlet wheel hitting the housing? i dont think this would be your problem however you need to check this.
how about you oil pump drive is it ok?
just ideas good luck

65TD
02-07-2007, 05:35
Sounds like you may be pressurizing the crankcase through the turbo oil return now.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
02-07-2007, 20:54
So you are saying to do what? Please help as this is driving me crazy. I want to hear my turbo spooling up in the parking lot again!!!!:(

65TD
02-07-2007, 23:07
Not sure but if that's what it is the turbo would have internal problems.

The oil comes into the turbo on top through the steel braided line and exits by gravity into the tube at the bottom of the turbo. This tube goes into the side of the block.

If pressure is building up there it would explain the symptom your seeing.

Unless the problem is not related to boost. Disable the turbo and test to confirm that it is or is not.

JohnC
02-08-2007, 13:45
OK, what does a kettle sound like? The only thing I've heard out of a kettle is "Pot, you're black!"

If you hear a sound like a police siren, that means the turbo is rubbing on the housing. Rebuild or replacement is the only option.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
02-08-2007, 23:17
It doesn't sound like a police siren. Maybe more like a high pressure air leak? Where am I looking for pressure building up? Will check the endplay hopefully tomorrow!:)

65TD
02-09-2007, 05:40
As far as pressure build up in the oil goes, you said the oil pressure was jumping. Is this related to the turbo spooling up? If so maybe your pressurizing the oil line with your turbo.:eek:

john8662
02-09-2007, 10:49
I think JohnC is on the right track here with checking the turbocharger end and side play out.

If the turbo is severly worn then it's very possible that the fins are rubbing inside the compressor housing. Also possible that it's got so much play that it causing oil pressure problems.

No way for air pressure to get into the oil system (pressurized side) or really the return side either.

Also, remove the air cleaner tubing to the turbocharger and start the truck and observe that the compressor wheel is spinning.

J

6.5 Detroit Diesel
02-09-2007, 16:13
Okay, I removed the air intake tubing and checked. I take it the Compressor wheel is the front turbine? If I pulled towards me, there was no movement. There was a slight amount of movement up and down. Barely enough for me to notice. Started the truck and could see that the blades were spinning. Took a screwdriver and pushed throttle lever down and wound the engine up. I could just hear the turbo spooling and it sounded normal. I couldn't hear anything scraping inside. I have found a rebuild kit for my turbo on E-bay for $90 Canadian but not sure if I should get it or not. Any chance that this could be a problem at the intake to head gasket or the head to exhaust gasket. It only seems to do this under load when I am driving. I have no experience with turbochargers so I am just following the advice I recieve here.

john8662
02-09-2007, 18:54
Sounds normal to me too.

Did you check your crossover pipe?

J

6.5 Detroit Diesel
02-09-2007, 19:25
Checked it once and it seemed okay. But it was a quick check and there is a lot of oil leakage underneath so I may have missed something. I wanted to order a bigger crossover pipe anyways so I should get on that.

JohnC
02-10-2007, 14:07
I would not rebuild the turbo on a whim. You probably don't have a way to balance it when you are done.

The noise you are hearing may be normal, deppending on what exhaust and intake you have. With stock components, most noise is surpressed, but with modifications or leaks you may hear the turbo even when it is operating normally.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
02-10-2007, 15:40
No the noise is new. After I had modded the exhaust and the air intake I could really hear the turbo and it sounded good. This definetely is not the proper sound.