PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter wrench

Mark Rinker
02-07-2007, 10:49
Who has found the ultimate vertical fuel filter wrench for removing the fuel filter easily? There is not much room for convential styles...

DmaxMaverick
02-07-2007, 12:15
I use a 2" nylon web strap wrench. It is just a length of 2" webbing with a 4" steel spindle that accepts a 1/2" square drive. Imagine about 12" of webbing folded back with the ends in a slot in a 3/4" piece of square tubing. I use a 10" extension and a 18" breaker bar. All of the "wrenching" goes on above the engine level. Very easy 10 minute changes. I had a rubber strap wrench, but it would slip and stretch, for a 20 minute, at best, change.

I got the nylon strap wrench at Kragen or Autozone (can't remember) for less than $5.

JohnnyR
02-07-2007, 15:22
Same experience as DmaxMaverick. Tried rubber strap wrench but to no avail. Been using a "cloth" strap wrench as well. Got mine at Autozone. Bit of a pain to get it over the filter but it's the only thing there's room for. Be sure you lubricate the rubber gasket in the middle of the new filter w/diesel. It makes aligning the filter and threading it on work so much better.

DmaxMaverick
02-07-2007, 15:59
I just happen to be changing my filter right now. I have everything handy, so here's a couple pics of what I use (Sorry about the pic quality. My camera is AWOL. Had to use my phone):

Kennedy
02-07-2007, 17:35
Who has found the ultimate vertical fuel filter wrench for removing the fuel filter easily? There is not much room for convential styles...

My two hands is all I use on my own vehicles including the bleeder...

DmaxMaverick
02-07-2007, 17:42
Tried that. They always leaked, later if not sooner. I've tried every type of lube I have on the O-ring, and it still leaked. My seeling surface must be warped or something. Or maybe the fuel filter gods like you better.

I'll bet it's because you use your lift pump(s). It's easier for air to leak in than fuel to leak out. Lift pump(s) still in my future.

Mark Rinker
02-07-2007, 20:21
Cool...thanks for the suggestions, and pictures. Thats the ticket.

JK I tried the 'two-hand' removal method at 3:30AM with temps at -6 and it didn't take me long to be back in the cab with my hands in front of the heater vents...

dieseldummy
02-08-2007, 00:33
I took an old metal oil filter wrench with a solid handle and put a 90 degree bend in it. I only use it to loosen the filter so it works good for me... JK must be some kind of animal if he doesn't use a wrench to break them loose.

Kennedy
02-08-2007, 10:26
Cool...thanks for the suggestions, and pictures. Thats the ticket.

JK I tried the 'two-hand' removal method at 3:30AM with temps at -6 and it didn't take me long to be back in the cab with my hands in front of the heater vents...

For stubborn filters I have my Craftsman HD rubber strap wrench that works well. Last remote filter change I made was in IA rest area at abou 0

SoTxPollock
02-08-2007, 12:07
I have a steel strap filter wrench with a handle that folds. Works great. Like JK, I only install hand tight. Works for me, but I realize not all hands are the same size or strength. I grew up on a farm, had to milk the cow before I could go to school every morning. Having a good grip is important. Actually O-rings unlike flat gaskets, don't need to be crushed to seal. The only thing I put on the O-ring is diesel fuel to seal it, no grease. Don't want that stuff in my fuel system.

WILLYD-MAX
02-08-2007, 12:31
I have good success reaching thru the fender and unscrewing them that way. On my 05 I can't hardly sqeeze the filter out the top so it comes out the bottem just great. I have to be carefull putting them on that way tho because of possible dirt contamination from the fender. It helps to have truck clean before.;)

Albee
02-08-2007, 15:06
This is the style I use. Works great. Hope this post works.

chipper
02-08-2007, 22:11

Remind me not to shake hands with you!!

jsmiracle
02-09-2007, 08:40
Two hands...... no leaks. I take the pass. side battery out for access. I do, however, use the JK WIF wrench for the WIF sensor and bleeder...nice tool.

Jim M.

BozDMAX
02-09-2007, 21:36
After a number of frustrating filter changes, I went to a good hardware store and bought some blind nuts (shaped like a squat 'C') that slip onto the sheet metal and some matching bolts. I used them to replace the plastic squeeze nuts that hold in the fender liner. I can remove the fender liner in a couple of minutes and have great access to the fuel filter and connections.

Nice to be able to actually see if you are getting the o-ring in place. With the better access, you can actually use the two hand method - although a good pair of rubber gloves gives a better grip.

Ranch55
02-16-2007, 08:22
I was using a Craftsman rubber strap wrench. Stretches too much. Last fuel filter change I used my regular oil filter metal strap wrench (90 degree swivel handle) on the smaller diameter step down part of the filter and it worked out great.
And it does help facilitate the process by removing the battery.
This is what worked for me anyway.