PDA

View Full Version : Winter Gel Issue

Jimmie J
02-07-2007, 13:48
I live in the central Pennsylvania area and have had a terrible time with fuel gelling this year. I know that ULSD is the only type of fuel I can get my area, but I really think it is the major problem. I have run diesel for about 10 years now and have never had a gel problem. In the winter months I add Aviex conditioner to my tank before I fill the tank and it had always seemed to work. This season I have gelled 4 times and that

DmaxMaverick
02-07-2007, 14:07
There's nothing wrong with using kerosene. Just be sure to use some sort of lubrication additive to offset kerosene's lack of lubricity.

JK, www.kennedydiesel.com, recommends FPPF for gel control. FPPF is not available just anywhere, but he can get it to you.

I use Power Service. It's available at Walmart and most truck stops and auto parts stores. It works very well. I've used it for down to -20

TheJDMan
02-08-2007, 10:02
There seems to be regional differences with ULSD gelling. Some have had problems others have not. I suspect it goes back to the regonal fuel distributors as to what additive package they ordered from the refinery. If you are staying in a region you pretty much know what you are buying. But if you are traveling around the country your best bet is to buy from the same chain of truck stops as you travel.

baker2acre
02-08-2007, 10:26
That's a good point JDman...

This is something I don't think many people realize. Regional and State regulations can dictate what additives are and are not put into our fuels. For example, around here in Delaware the summer Gasoline was consistantly $.50 higher then across the line into Maryland.... as it turns out, Delaware legislation mandated gasoline being sold in Delaware had to contain X% of ethanol. There's a refinery here in DE and it's making one batch for MD and another for DE and maybe another batch for PA... this is how it was with Gas, but I'm sure there's something on the books for what additives, conditioners and stabilizers can be used in your area... I suppose Supplier to supplier it can differ with in a region as well if there were enough "allowable" additive combinations. I.e... Sheetz vs. BP vs. Exxon... Jimmie J, have you tried using different suppliers??

hockeyGTP
02-08-2007, 19:05
I am having the same problem over here in Ohio, I am adding the white power service, but it still isn't helping, all of the bus companies and truck shops are complaining of it also. All of our schools are having gel issues.

murphyslaw
02-08-2007, 19:22
I havnt had any problems with the ULSD here in alaska but then again its a winter blend and it most likely has different addatives and such in it.

Kennedy
02-08-2007, 20:55
I've had problems here using the same additive as last year. I ended up cutting it with 10% K1 and adding more Total Power plus warming it and to top it off I used a bottle of Meltdown. Thankfully this is contained to my storage tank outside.

BillMoncrief
02-09-2007, 07:50
Hello all;
I was talking to our fleet mechanic at work today and he has seen a few clogged filters including his own. He feels that the new fuel is cleaning everyones tank be it on the truck, bulk storage, or distbutor. This he feels is putting contaminates or what ever in the fuel and causing the clogs. He personally does not run any additive at all and said fuel was not gelled filter was clogged apparently he cut it open to check. We've been in the single digits for lows here and a couple days not out of the twenties for highs. Hope this helped.
Bill

Mark Rinker
02-09-2007, 09:30
Have you seen the fuel gelling, or are you assuming its gelling when a filter plugs? My experience this winter is WATER content being the problem. I have seen no gelled fuel at all.

On a -10F day, I removed a 6.5 filter that was not flowing fuel. I shook out all the liquid fuel from it that I could, and was nearly convinced there was no problem, as the housing was half full of very liquid fuel.

With no liquid fuel dripping or left in the filter, I held it in front of a space heater until it was very warm. All at once, two tablespoons of water gushed out onto the floor, after the ice crystals got warm enough to liquify.

Jimmie J
02-21-2007, 06:54
I have noticed more water issues too, but this is a fuel gel problem. I have dipped fuel out of equipment tanks and got pure gel. I haven

Nobby
02-21-2007, 08:53
Well I just came through PA last week during the post storm mayhem (stuck for 6 hours, but thats another story) and took on fuel in PA. Sure enough fuel pump was pumping real slow. I added a little extra Standyne and had no issues. Seems from what I am reading in general that those using Standyne are having no issues.

cheers
Nobby