PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Treatment

Willy G
02-07-2007, 17:00
Recently I purchased my first Diesel (07 2500HD LBZ). I don't have allot of diesel knowledge, but I understand that an "antigel" is recomended when temps are below freezing. Well, it's cold in NJ this week and I went to the auto parts store to find some antigel. I purchased a bottle of Diesel Kleene with Cetane Boost by Power Service. Is this the right stuff to use? and what is Catane? My truck is stock with only 1000 miles.

DmaxMaverick
02-07-2007, 17:38
What color is that bottle? If it's white, just use it according to the label and it'll keep the gel monster away. If it's gray, it will do NOTHING for anti-gel. I use PowerService in both the white and gray bottles, according to the temps.

DieselMonk
02-07-2007, 18:09
I am using Stadadyne, Howes and Lucas what ever is available from those 3.

JohnC
02-08-2007, 14:30
Cetane is sort of the Diesel equivalent to Octane. It is a measure of the fuel's energy content. US Diesel fuel usually runs between about 40 and 45 Cetane. More is better.

Diesel fuel is blended in the winter to prevent gelling, based on your location and the expected temperatures. While additives are a good idea, you should be able to get away without them under most circumstances.

A good additive will help prevent gelling, boost cetane and increase lubricity.

morgan
02-21-2007, 21:16
I am using the Diesel Kleen with Cetane boost (gray bottle) every fill up for life of truck. Great service so far, and worth the price/effort in my opinion.

Dwight
02-23-2007, 20:01
GM has a service letter out and they recommend Stadadyne.

morgan
02-26-2007, 08:14
Dwight, you are correct about the recommendation, however...

I have a CDL, and live near several major Interstate Highways and only fuel my vehicles at high-volume stations, and have NEVER seen Standadyne products on any shelf anywhere. So it's not conveniently available.

Also, why doesn't GM recommend a specific brand of oil, fuel, coolant, tire, windsheild wiper and cleaning products?

I like my truck, but we all know that GM designed, built and sold a problematic diesel injection pump, had to accept that fact in an embarrassing manner, and only covered their customers up to 120,000 miles on a vehicle that should go 300k miles minimum, and their only reaction is to recommend the fuel additive made by the problem-vendor???? Reward a bad vendor? Come on! Give me a break.