PDA

View Full Version : LB7 only starts w/jump or charge

nbloecher@yahoo.com
02-08-2007, 15:22
i apologize for starting a new thread but my old one isnt getting any attention:) this has been going on for about a month1/2.ive replaced fuel filter, rebuilt the primer two new batteries and i have to jump or charge it if i want to drive it.has anybody ever heard of this symptom for the injectors?everyday its seems to be starting harder and harder,week or so ago it started right up w/jump,now it takes about 3-5sec to start.also i noticed for the first time when it started this morning a small puff of blue smoke coming out the pipe.ive checked the oil level,its fine and doesnt smell like diesel and the truck runs fine when its running.i know i should just take it to the dealer,but im self employed and cant give it up for a week if i dont have to although this is becoming a pain.very grateful for any help.p.s the kennedy's; are american royalty.

DieselMonk
02-09-2007, 05:16
is there a difference in the speed of the starter turning the engine over, compaired between starting on the batteries or jump starting? Did you check your ground wires and the cleaned the battery terminals on the battery and the cable? Checked the glow plugs? Last time I saw that happening, it was a corroded wire terminal that went on the battery post. New battery alone didn't do it as the corrosion was at the cable end. Cleaned that and the way she went. Maybe its getting also harder to start, because the outside temperature is getting lower.

I read your thread once again and wanted to mention: Did it ever occour to you that maybe something in or on the truck is left on (intentionally or not) and drains the batterys all the time, thus you arn't having enough voltage to start? Maybe check the the current flow with a DC current clamp meter and see... Maybe you can do some Voltage mesurements on the battery terminals, before you start or jumper the engine and see if you have enough voltage in the batteries to begin with. Before you start friggin around make sure that all battery and wire terminals are wire brushed clean and make solid connection.

nbloecher@yahoo.com
02-09-2007, 10:20
thanks for replying monk,ive cleaned all the connections except the ground.theres no noticeable difference between when it starts and doesnt,it still turns over hard.i havent checked the glow plugs,dont know how-besides taking it to the dealer.dont know alot about diesels,but if this were a gasser it would be an ignition problem cause its getting plenty of fuel atleast to the filter.my alternator is pushing 15volts,i had an XM satelite radio put in about a week or two before this started happening,after i had that put in i went to whyoming on a hunting trip and it was -5 and the thing started and ran like a champ.when i put the charger on it everynight it briefly pulls about 4to5 amps and then goes down to about one,ill try a tester on it today.i was hoping it was the injectors so i could get the replacement over with before buisness picks up this spring.it just needs that extra little push from the jumpers or charger,weird.like i said before over the last week its getting harder and harder to start,about 4 or 5 sec before it would fire right up.there couldnt be anything being left on that could drain that much voltage that quick.thanks again monk i appreciate the help.

Mark Rinker
02-09-2007, 10:40
What year/make/model of truck. How many miles on this truck? Any mods or special use? Is it cold or warm where you live? If you fill out your signature with truck info, it will help us.

If below 10F, are you plugging in the truck? Your block heater could be burned out, so you think the truck is preheated, but its not.

When the truck does start, is it hitting on all 8 cylinders smoothly, or bucking and stumbling like its running on 2 or 3? Bad glow plug(s) and/or block heater scenario.

In order of importance, electrically you need

1) Good block heater;
2) Good batteries and charging system (YOU HAVE ADDRESSED ONLY THESE);
3) Good (all 8) glows (2001-2004.5 trucks have terminal strips that corrode and disconnect multiple glow plugs);
4) Good fuel pre-heater;
5) Good air charge heater (It has been reported that this plays little with cold starts, don't know much else here...);

- to have snappy cold starts.

nbloecher@yahoo.com
02-09-2007, 14:49
the truck is an 03 w/95k,funny thing just got home from work when i left work instead of hooking up the jumpers i figured id give a try w/o i let it turn over for about 6or7 sec and it fired up,i dont know if ive been jumping and or charging in vein i just dont like turning over the motor that long on just my own batteries especially a diesel.i live in southern il.its around 20deg.when i was in whyoming -5 it started like a champ for 6 days,i dont know if i got bad gas along the way but i did change the filter.when its running it idles and runs great.i forgot to mention when i do plug in the heater w/o timer(on all night) in the morning when i go to unplug it its making a clicking noise,i figured it had nothing to do with my problems since its separate.im a diesel dunce so i havnt checked fuel pressure and glow plugs,im getting fuel to the filter assembly just dont know about the pressure regulator and or pump.like i said in the last post if it was a gasser it would have to be an ignition problem.thanks for the help mark.also forgot the only mod im running (cause im broke)is an aem brute force intake,dont know if thats good or not dont hear alot about people using that brand.

Mark Rinker
02-09-2007, 18:04
I wouldn't consider 6 or 7 seconds excessive cranking in cold conditions. Get some fresh #2 in it, add a good diesel winter additive labeled for anti-gelling and cetane boost. Plug it in for at least 4 hours if the temps are below 10F and I bet you will be good to go from here.

As for the jumping and charging - I'd lay off that as you might create a battery, starter or alternator problem by doing that excessively. Even if it cranks for 10-15 seconds cold.

What weight of oil are you running? That could cause the slow cranking all by itself when this cold.

nbloecher@yahoo.com
02-09-2007, 19:31
thanks alot mark,i just went out and tried it she fired up in about 2-3sec weird.ill check back in if anything changes,its time for me to go out and get my monthly alchohol poisining out of the way,have a good weekend.

nbloecher@yahoo.com
02-09-2007, 23:58
aaaahhhhhhrrrrrr.just went to my buddies to go out and have a "couple" of drinks,hung out at his house for a beer or two 1/2 an hour went outside tried to start her,nothing i cranked for 10-15 secs at a time even put the jumpers on her and she just kept spinning with no result,so she is currently sitting at my buddies.ive gotta get this fixed not only is it a pain in the *ss,but ford and dodge guys are driving by with a sideways smile on their face,with my hood up.that aint cool.twice today it started with no problem first time it took about 5-7sec. second time it took about 8-10 third wasnt happening.if any of this sounds like the injectors i would be a very happy man.i forgot to mention it seems like whenever its warm and i shut it down it has a tuff time starting again,so i thought maybe the fuel cap wasnt venting (creating a vapor lock)but ive loosened the cap and primed the hell out of it and still wont start.when its cold not so much of a problem.

Mark Rinker
02-10-2007, 07:10
I'd get to a dealership today and have them pull any codes that are set in the computer.

This is not a common scenario you are desribing. You may have injector or injector pump issues.