PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Change-help

hockeyGTP
02-09-2007, 12:33
This is my first diesel I have had. I like to do all of my own work and want to be sure I do this right. If somebody could give me a little guidance I would appreciate very much.

It is a '98 2500

65TD
02-09-2007, 12:50
With lift pump running, open drain t-valve and drain into a clear container until fuel is clean. Turn off the lift pump.

Unscrew the collar on the filter manager.

Lift the filter out.

Inspect and see if more cleaning is needed.

Check for filter screen, make sure it's in place. It can get stuck in the filter. The new filter does not come with a screen.

Insert the new filter with the correct alignment when you lower it down into the filter manager. It's keyed to go one way only.

Replace the collar. Do not over tighten it.

Open valve on top of filter and run lift pump to get air out. Close valve.

Open drain t-valve and run lift pump until fuel is clean. Close valve.

Check for leaks with lift pump running.

Mark Rinker
02-09-2007, 13:02
1) Carefully remove black plastic outer ring by turning counter-clockwise. This peice is reused.

2) Grasp filter by paper tabs on top, pulling straight up.

3) Inspect bottom opening of filter for a round plastic screen. If it came out with the filter, clean it and replace it on the stand pipe in the fuel filter housing.

4) If the small plastic screen is still on the stand pipe, remove, inspect, clean, and replace.

5) Examine new filter to ensure that rubber seal is in place. You may want to lubricate this seal with petroleum jelly or light grease before installing. It should not be loose - it should be fixed in a groove in the filter itself.

6) Reinstall filter with word FRONT on the metal top to the FRONT of the engine. If there is no word printed on the filter, look for the wide tab where the filter mates with the housing, and face that tab directly forward.

7) Reinstall plastic ring to hold filter in place.

8) Crank bleeder on top of filter and turn key to engage lift pump. When fuel flows, close bleeder and restart. If lift pump is not operational, or does not engage with key in the ON position, a few short cranks without any glow cycle will purge air in the filter, without starting the engine and spewing fuel.

hockeyGTP
02-09-2007, 13:11
Thank you both very much. This seems to be a very great community here.

Mark Rinker
02-09-2007, 13:13
We try to be...add info on your truck to your signature and it will help when questions are answered in the future!

hockeyGTP
02-11-2007, 07:54
I changed the filter but now it won't start. The "cannister" for the filter doesn't fill back up with fuel. People think the fuel may be gelled but they aren't positive. So I have looked for the diesel 911 but couldn't find it. I read if it doesn't fill back up it could be the IP, what and where is this. What are the symptoms of a failing, failed one.

Hubert
02-11-2007, 08:48
So its not pumping fuel to bleed air at top of filter and fill up fuel manager bowl? You should do this step before trying to start vehicle. Do a search and read up on fuel manager and filter changes several more tips on the forum for you.

Sounds like thats the lift pump not working. The IP is down stream and has no effect here. The LP is a little electric pump on inside of frame rail about under the drivers seat.

Could be lift pump failure or wiring etc. There is a GM weather-pak connection at the lift pump unplug it and see if you get power 12V while wait to start cycle (for a few seconds iirc 5-10 seconds). If so replace lift pump.

If you don't have a meter see if you can hear or feel the lift pump humming and/or vibrating while wait to start. No guarantee its pumping if you feel and hear it unless you get fuel out air bleed and/or water drain. The LP has been reported to fail in different ways.

Easy to change out its been posted several times.

I doubt its gelled fuel unless its really really cold there or you recently bought fuel from another warmer region.

JohnC
02-11-2007, 11:59
On your year the lift pump should run for a few seconds every time you turn the key on. Listen for it, on the frame under the driver's side door. If it works, open the bleeder on top of the filter and cycle the key until fuel comes out the bleeder, then close it and start the truck. If it doesn't pump, you're going to want to fix that, but you may be able to bleed the filter enough to get going by blowing into the fuel filler neck with the bleeder open.

lars1
02-13-2007, 22:39
Check out the

65TD
02-14-2007, 09:34
If you prime it and get it running without repairing the lift pump you will damage the IP. You need a lift pump working properly, your's is not.

If it's gelled fuel then that's another problem, however you should still hear the lift pump running.

hockeyGTP
02-14-2007, 17:15
It was the lift pump and I put a new one on. Very easy to change, nice to see after my last vehicle. Worked like a charm.