PDA

View Full Version : need serious help

Keith Richards
08-22-2005, 11:12
I tried to tackle my new fsd today,and now im really in trouble.I took everything I could apart to get to the fsd,thermostat housing,top air intake(i guess thats what its called)very top of engine,disconnected a couple of small electrical connections,and realized I had to take the entire air intake off just to get to the allen screws.Realized it was way too involved for my meager abilities and put everything back together the way it was,and now its running real rough,white smoke,major vibrations,clacking etc.I even took it back apart to see if I missed a connection somewhere,and theres nothing I can see.I didnt realize remote mounting it was the easy way out!The only thing I noticed was a small metal cylinder on top of the injection pump seems a little loose, so I took it back apart and retorqued it,and theres still a little play.I didnt notice this before,maybe thats the way its supposed to be?Everything else seems Ok,and I'm at my wits end.Any help is much appreciated.

rjwest
08-22-2005, 12:28
missing any screw/tools???
any stuff get into intake..?

Keith Richards
08-22-2005, 12:40
No,all the screw/nuts went back in place,everything looks good.I'm trying everything I can think of,I'm stumped at this point.I've been over it ten times,and everything went back together the same way I took it out.It will stay running ,but very poorly,service engine light is on,and the engine does not respond to throttle input,any suggestions on that?

BUZZ
08-22-2005, 15:03
On top of the air horn there is a black box. 2.5 " long 1" wide and 1/4" tall. Is it connected, correctly? did you remove it or simply unplug it. This is a air press sensor. fpr the injection system.
Buzz

Keith Richards
08-22-2005, 17:11
Buzz,I took that sensor off,and reconnected it.Could that be causing a problem?I noticed the previous owner had zip-tied the box and the electric connector together because he cracked the little stub off that holds the connection in place.As I said before its running so bad that pedal input does absolutely nothing.This was a previously very powerful running 6.5.What the hell did I do?This comes at a really bad time,money is VERY tight, and I'm real busy at work right now.This truck is a big part of my livelihood so I'm screwed till I get this ironed out.I have looked at that sensor a few times,and any other suggestions are extremely welcome,thanks.

charliepeterson
08-22-2005, 18:37
Make sure the small black ground wire is secure coming off the PMD. If this looks good you'll have to have the code scanned that turned on the MIL light.

Chuck1
08-22-2005, 21:35
keith could it be your fsd try pluging the new one in .You should be able to reach the plug with out removing the intake.

Keith Richards
08-23-2005, 02:17
The ground wire never got touched,and looks secure.And the thing with the pmd was,I couldn't get to the allen screws to take it off the pump,and put the new one on.Is ther another way to do it?I found out yesterday,that I'll probably have to buy a remote harness if I want to do it myself.I just dont know,and dont really think, thats what,s making the engine run like this,because I never touched the pmd,(save for turning the one allen screw one turn,then retightening it very tight,when I realised it was hopeless).

BUZZ
08-23-2005, 02:27
What symptoms do you have for changing the PMD?
Did you losen any hose clamps near the pump?
Are your battery cables tight, especially grounds.
Even though this all shows up after your wrenching, the symptoms are similar to air in the fuel system and or your glow circuit is not working. However, the truck should overcome all this in a matter of a few maybe 10 to 15 seconds.
How long are you allowing it to belch and carry on before you shut it down?

BUZZ
08-23-2005, 02:32
One other thing, just plug the new PMD and start the truck, it doesn't have to be mounted. This is just a test. You can't drive it like this but will determine if the PMD is causing the rough run.

Dvldog 8793
08-23-2005, 03:28
Howdy
With the zero foot peddle response I would think maybe a TPS or something in the fly by wire system. If you can press the peddle and have NO response then the computer is either not seeing it or seeing but saying no-way. I think you have a electrical connection that is causing the problem. sometimes the wires will get brittle right at the connection and when you take them apart it breaks.
Hope this helps, good luck!
L8r
Conley

moondoggie
08-23-2005, 09:05
Good Day!

Get the codes scanned. My local NAPA will "sell" me the fancy expensive code reader, then buys it back when I'm done, as long as everything's in the box. In fact, the last time I needed it, the counter guy just took it out to the parking lot with me, hooked it up, & read the codes for me.

Blessings!

Keith Richards
08-23-2005, 12:08
I will try the code scanner.The little metal cylinder that plugs into the inj. pump,that I mentioned seemed loose,I wiggled that a bit and pressed down on it, and the rpms started to come up,and engine ran a bit stronger,then shut down as I let go.Ineed to look into that a bit more.as I mentioned earlier,I tried tightening and retightening that because it didn't seem secure.I have let it run for a few minutes at a time,and didn't get any better,I'll try to let her runa bit more and see what happens.If it is air in the fuel or something how long would that take to straighten out?And the reason I had for changing the pmd is periodic ,then serious stalling.Inj. pump is only 2 1/2 years old.How do I plug in the new pmd without changing out the old?

JohnC
08-23-2005, 12:15
Originally posted by Keith Richards:
The little metal cylinder that plugs into the inj. pump,that I mentioned seemed loose,I wiggled that a bit and pressed down on it, and the rpms started to come up,and engine ran a bit stronger,then shut down as I let go.That's the fuel shutoff solenoid. It should not be loose. I think you're on to something...

rameye
08-23-2005, 17:23
I second that..probably should have not touched it.

Can that be changed out on the IP easily without being a tech??

tom.mcinerney
08-24-2005, 02:49
Probably jostled the FuelShuttoffSolenoid while wrenching. Probably a good idea to replace it with new from a Stanadyne dealer [fuel injection shop], but maybe can make it work. These have been replaced by other members on-vehicle repair. Exercise the greatest cleanliness when work on injection system.

Treat all electrical connections with tender care.

The FIP may be loosened and rotated {must mark/scribe location first} to service the FSD/PMD [then turn back to mark and re tighten]. The PMD fastenings are NOT allen-head capscrews. They are TORX headed screws , T-15 if recollection serves.

The press/baro sensor connector appears to be fragile...the lock tab on mine is also broken , and it works fine without a ty-wrap....

Docfranco
08-24-2005, 10:22
Have you diconnected the batteries to reset the ECM? if i have changed something and it is not right, i have forgotten to reset the ECM. Once reset, it has cleared up problems before...just my .02
Good luck

Keith Richards
08-24-2005, 12:17
I did disconnest batteries,that was my thought as well,but it did no good.I guess I'll call my local dealer(fuel inj. shop)and see how much that part is.After playing and moving the fuel shutoff solenoid,now it will not stay running.Hopefully I am on to something,I wouldn't know where else to begin.You guys are great,thank you,and any other ideas are always welcome.