PDA

View Full Version : Banks or AFE Cold Air Intake?

Londell
02-12-2007, 15:29
Which is the most free flowing, it sounds like the AFE has the most Filtration but does that restrict flow? Banks Advertisements on the Ram Air looks good but I dont see much on the AFE stage 2. Can anyone help me out here? :confused:

silverback
03-04-2007, 18:11
I was just about to order the new AFE then I saw the new Banks in 4 wheeler magazine. Love for somebody to do a review of these. I'm inclined to the think the ram air piece for the Banks is a bit gimmicky but it got my attention.
-KL

vetman
03-05-2007, 12:45
I agree, I'd like to see the same thing. I bought the AFE Stage 2, but still am not convinced I made the right choice...

FBJR
03-05-2007, 15:34
I keep bouncing around on this too for my LBZ. I see Banks-SB-AEM-AFE and who knows!!

I have an AFE filter now in the stock system (which I keep hearing is not real bad) but would like a non oiled filter if I can. I seem to remember a thread on modifying the stock system, but was that for the LBZ?

I just want colder clean air in!!!

FB

Buck
03-06-2007, 02:55
Why do you guys want to waste your money on intake kits???? It's 99.9% hipe...The '06 OEM intake kit is very hard to beat! Just get a good exhaust system and efilive tunes, that's all you need. My $.02

DickWells
03-06-2007, 10:28
Just ordered an S&B system for my LB7. Keep reading that S&B makes filters for many outfits. Seen several articles featuring the S&B factory, all very complimentary, of course. Don't know if I went the right way, or not. Time will tell. I realize that you won't see payback for a long-long time, if ever, but I like knowing that I have as good a system in there as I can afford.
I want to study how Banks routes the air up around there, over the fender liner from the front/grill area. Maybe I can do something similar without paying Banks a couple of hundred $.
DW:)

Ponderosa JT
03-06-2007, 14:14
I also purchased the S&B. It was part of a package (Predator/4" exhaust/Intake). A while back, some one here posted an ISO 5011 test on a various intakes. The net results were the OEM paper filter filtered the best. Not the best air flow, but was the cleanest. A few months back, Diesel Power mag had an article on intakes and dyno results. All tested the same peak hp. S&B tests their filters with the ISO 5011 test against stock. For the LB7, they claim a 50% increase in flow and 99.3% efficiency (how well it blocks the dust). I did notice the LBZ application only showed a 20% increase over stock. The LBZ stock filter must be pretty good. I haven't seen any other manufacturer state ISO 5011 results on their filters. I was also worried about oiling. I talked to Berry Carter (S&B Pres) and he said they tried the synthetic oil free but it didn't flow and filter as good (stop the dirt) as the 8 ply oiled they were using. He said if he can find something better without oil he would switch. I'm happy. I get the cool turbo whistle. The S&B is not very expensive. And I'm comfortable my engine is not seeing the dirt that other filters pass to get high flow.

Jeff

silverback
03-06-2007, 19:37
Hey Buck,
The point you're raising is exactly why I'd like to see a comparison test. If the after market products and the OEM intake don't have substantial differences in performance then it is a waste of $$$. Show me the numbers. I was mostly interested in getting away from the oiled filters and I was looking at the new AEM (http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=28) (not AFE). I like their Dry Flow filter.
-KL

DickWells
03-06-2007, 20:13
:) Way back when, I put a Banks Stinger system in the old Burb. Got to worrying about filtration, due to all the doom and gloom I was reading about in the DP. So, I wrote to K&N with my concerns. Got a long letter back, telling me all the reasons I shouldn't be concerned, including the bit about all the military stuff being serviced by K&N, and running in the deserts of the World.
I put on about 90,000 miles since then, with no sign of a problem. Serviced the filter twice. I think a good indication of lack of dust in the engine, is that during my early experience with the K&N, I found Castrol Syntech 15/40 oil. What's that got to do with anything? Well, I found that Syntech would give me about double the miles before I had to add a quart, compare to Rotella. Seems like, if I was getting more abbrasive through, to the internals, that I would have seen an increase in oil consumption in those 90K miles. Anyway, if I could still get Syntech (sp?) from Wally World, I'd still use it.
FWIW, and best regards.
DW:)

killerbee
03-31-2007, 18:21
I will buy your 06 intake.