PDA

View Full Version : 1998 K3500 overhaul

derekja
02-12-2007, 20:16
I

arveetek
02-13-2007, 08:46
If you decide to deck the block, make sure you either modify the pistons or install thicker head gaskets. In stock form, the pistons protrude slightly past the top of the deck. If the deck surface is machined down enough, the pistons could slap the heads.

Casey

Robyn
02-13-2007, 22:31
If the block is clean and nice on top with no erossion around the area that the fire ring sits dont deck it.
If you have an erroded ring dont let the machine shop cut more than .010" off the deck

FELPRO is the name to remember, they make a .010" thicker gasket
Be sure you use new head bolts as the ones used on these engines are a one time though bolt. They are (TTY) torque to yield

Robyn

trbankii
02-14-2007, 11:17
I’m still not entirely decided on the redo the heads in place, or take out the block decision. But I’m leaning strongly toward taking out the block. It really all comes down to the decision of am I fixing it up to keep or to sell with a clear conscience. I really like this truck and wouldn’t have bought it if I didn’t want to keep it. And I hate doing things halfway. So I guess that means I’m fixing it up to keep. And that probably means that I’ll at least want to redeck the block. Ug.

Hear you loud and clear! This time last winter I had to replace the harmonic balancer on my Saab - which is way down between the block and the firewall since Saab "reversed" their engines... Decided I didn't have time to go to the trouble of pulling the engine so about dislocated my arms working on it with the engine in place. Guess what? The Saab is currently sitting because the timing chain is making noise... Yep, have to pull the engine for that... Should have pulled it and done everything a year ago...

Best of luck on the project - we're all here for ya!