PDA

View Full Version : smelling in exhaust in cab-'03 3500 Duramax

monstermatic
02-13-2007, 08:35
Hi,
This may be a dumb new guy question, but while I'm waiting for the truck to thaw there's not much else to do. Working on an '03 3500 one ton pickup. The driver complained of smelling exhaust in the cab, primarily when the fan is on. And since it's cold out, the heater and fan are always on so I don't know if it's happening without. Anyway, I got in to verify it and could smell it also. Now I know it's most likely something very simple and probably dumb to ask about it. But like I said, it's dripping off in the shop right now so why dive in and get wet?

So has anyone had this problem? And if so where would be the place to look first? Thanks for helping the new guy.

Buck
02-13-2007, 12:35
I smell diesel sometimes to, depends on which I'm parked and wind direction;)You could check the exhaust connections just to verify....

More Power
02-13-2007, 12:51
Also, the LB7 engine's crankcase is vented to atmosphere, which allows crankcase vapors to emerge under the engine. These vapors are sometimes pulled into the vents when the vehicle isn't moving. This is most noticeable soon after an oil change when the new oil produces the most vapors. Not so noticeable after a few hundred miles have accumulated. :)

Jim

Kennedy
02-13-2007, 15:08
It's pretty much going to happen at some point if parked in a way that favors this condition. The best defense that I have is that I work with my custom tuning to lessen the stench at idle. Some trucks/fuels etc are raunchier than others also.

JohnC
02-13-2007, 16:18
I've noticed it a handfull of times on my '06. I have to think there's something going on that didn't happen with the '95, but I have no idea what it is...

50+
02-14-2007, 12:45
I also get a whiff of Diesel exhaust on occasion in the cab. Most always in the winter. Usually when I let it set and idle, and there is little or no wind. The fumes will have a tendency to lay in the heavy winter air, rather than rise away in hotter weather. My opinion.

SoTxPollock
02-20-2007, 12:18
Yeah, back when diesel was cheap it smelled like money saved. Now it smells like money spent. My truck has cabin filters which must be why I don't recall having that problem. Course its not as cold where I live either.
Wow I've seen about 10 Nascar haulers go by this morning guess they are headed to California for the next race.

Jeff Pahlow
10-21-2007, 18:02
We have an 07 sierra classic that when this first started it only happenened when you role up to a stop light after the truck was warmed up with the ac on the cab gets this blast of sulfer type smell, and also only happens when your in the outside air mode. went back to the dealer they replaced the ac filters,disinfected the vents put die in the oil to look for a leak and there is none and nothing has helped. what we do know is it is getting worse, The dealer tells me there is no problem, but I like to breath so there is a problem.
Anybody got any ideas? :confused:

Mark Rinker
10-21-2007, 18:59
Sulfur smell usually is related to catalytic converters. Is your Duramax an LMM? Maybe it has something to do with the new 'regen' process that happens in the new emissions systems.

Jeff Pahlow
10-21-2007, 21:09
this is an 07 model with the cat on board totaly stock at this point only 8000 miles

rmedi
11-10-2007, 19:32
Just got a new to me 2005 Gmc duramax crew cab 4x4. I hav ebeen a life long diesel owner. One of the first things I noticed after settling in is a distinct exaust smell in cab. I even see signs of it on the tan interior trim in the nooks and crannies. What to look for causing this? I am sure this will get more agitating as time passes. Hope someone has some good suggestions!