PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Manifold

jbob
02-13-2007, 11:18
Has anyone installed the BD Power exhaust manifold on the driver's side to reduce the restriction? Do you notice any difference? Do you recommend installing it?

Thanks.

Kennedy
02-13-2007, 16:34
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/dmaxexhaustmods.html

You won't feel or measure the difference, but one look at the stocker and it's obviously a poor design and restriction.

2tough2park
02-19-2007, 13:15
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/dmaxexhaustmods.html

You won't feel or measure the difference, but one look at the stocker and it's obviously a poor design and restriction.

Stupid question. So if I won't feel or measure a difference, is it worth replacing? Truck seems plenty happy with the squished one.

Kennedy
02-19-2007, 17:38
I'm sorry, I just don't know how to explain it.

JohnC
02-20-2007, 15:54
I'm sorry, I just don't know how to explain it.

Simple. do it because you know it's the right thing to do... ;)

Must be a carryover from the 6.5 design :rolleyes:

More Power
02-20-2007, 18:43
It would be interesting to measure the exhaust backpressure before/after the restriction, and compare exhaust temperatures right bank / left bank with calibrated pyrometers.

Many people have instrumented both exhaust manifolds, and see a higher EGT for the driver's side (myself included). But, I don't know of any tests that compare R/L EGTs using calibrated & matched pyrometers/gauges (mine weren't either).

Jim

madmatt
02-23-2007, 06:31
My left side ran between 75-110 degrees hotter then the right measured w/ the calibrated and matched probes on the dyno we use.

More Power
02-23-2007, 12:28
Thanks Matt! Now, it would be interesting to measure/compare R/L EGT after installing the BD manifold.... :)

Jim

madmatt
02-25-2007, 14:30
We built one and after installing it we never saw more then 20* difference. Sorry no pics, that truck was sold complete w/ custom manifold and blown engine!!!!!! Having both readings close to the same helps you catch a problem before it gets outta hand and hopefully prevent a catastrophic failure.