PDA

View Full Version : Getting a diesel truck\

baseballplaya2369
02-13-2007, 23:03
I am thinking about trading my car for a 1994 GMC K3500 1-Ton Dually 4x4 Sierra SLE. Supposedly has new engine and tranny at 190K. Has 250K currently on it. What should i look for when i see it or ask him about when i talk to him? It has the 6.5L Turbo Diesel with a 5 Sp Manual. Thanks in advance

derekja
02-13-2007, 23:50
Hmm. I just did this. Slightly different story - 1998 K3500, not a dually, 215000 miles.

I really wish I had taken it in for an inspection before buying it. It would have saved me a lot of headache. Now don't get me wrong, I love the truck and plan on fixing it, and I didn't get taken to the cleaners too badly I guess, but an inspection would probably have convinced me to walk away. You can search for some of my recent posts if you want details.

I would check for coolant leaks - is the radiator hose hard when you start it up? Any sign of coolant leaking? That's the part that is giving me most grief.

Does the turbo work right? Gets good boost when you're driving it? (if it doesn't have a boost gauge, at least see if it has good pickup on the highway)

check brakes and wheel seals and shocks and all the normal stuff.

Where'd the new engine come from? Peninsula is a great answer. If he talks about performance mods on the engine that's pretty good, too. If he says "a junkyard ripout" that's probably not a good sign.

Nice truck, hope it all works out!

a5150nut
02-14-2007, 07:27
I am thinking about trading my car for a 1994 GMC K3500 1-Ton Dually 4x4 Sierra SLE. Supposedly has new engine and tranny at 190K. Has 250K currently on it. What should i look for when i see it or ask him about when i talk to him? It has the 6.5L Turbo Diesel with a 5 Sp Manual. Thanks in advance

Welcome to TDP.
What is the general condition/looks of the truck? How has it been used? (lots of commute miles or towing 9 million tons uphill daily) And the one that drives people crazy, I crawl under the vehicle and look at the bottom side. Look for hook marks in the frame, and bumpers. Oil / coolant leaks from engine, tranmission, transfer case, diffs. Does it look like it has had recent work done anywhere? And does the seller have some form of records as to maint. or repairs?

Some signs to look at too are pedal ware and seat covers. High higway miles less ware on pedals. I had a salesman try and tell me a car only had 34k on it, but the pedals were worn smooth. Not a good sign.

Robyn
02-14-2007, 10:07
On any purchase of a 6.2 or 6.5 equiped truck.
Dont allow the seller to have the rig already warmed up.
You want to start it from dead cold so you can see if there are issues with the glow plugs and such.
Run the rig until its good and warm and the temp is in the operating range.
Give the top radiator hose a squeeze, if its rock hard have a look see around the coolant tank overflow and see if the sucker has been blowing coolant out onto the inner fender.
If you find a reeeeely hard hose and evidence of coolant overflow.. PASS and go elsewhere.

If all is well here the general look over is in order.
Look at the tranny fluid on the dipstick, Pink is good, yellow or brown is well used but not terrible as long as it does not smell like burnt toast.
Black with bad odor is not at all good and one should run away fast unless the price of the truck is real cheap.

The usual things like oil leaks and such, condition of the upholstery, body and paintwork. Do all the electrical accessories work??

The engine and tranny being the most important unless the interior is a rat and the body and paint are obviously shot.

Good luck and enjoy

Robyn