PDA

View Full Version : Is my Injector pump on its last legs? having hotstart problem!

Shaun091382
01-12-2004, 15:46
Hi, my original fuel system has over 209,000miles on it and i think my injector pump is closing in on its last days..I was in gettin my windshield replaced in a heated garage temp about 77*F since it was at operating temps to drive to the shop and the shop wasnt overally cool after 2hrs i tried to start and it just cranked and never started i pushed my truck outside and the temp outside is about 24*F i let the truck sit outside for about half an hour cranked it over and it started..not the first time i had a hot start problem...but im guessing my IP pump is nearing its end? what do you think?

pannhead
01-12-2004, 16:05
209,000 on one IP :eek: ,consider yourself lucky...i would check for codes and go from there

Shaun091382
01-12-2004, 16:20
thanks for your response panhead..i forgot to mention my truck is a '93 with the stanadyne DB2 mech inj pump

Bobbie Martin
01-12-2004, 17:43
There is an updated head & rotor for these pumps just to fix the hard start when hot problem. At over 200,000 miles, its probably time to rebuild anyway. They can install it when they rebuild the pump. I think its something like $300 for the update, plus the rebuilding charge.

kowsoc
01-13-2004, 05:28
Could be the pump but what condition are your batteries in? Cranking speed in these engines is very important, especially when the IP is full of hot, low viscocity diesel fuel. If speed is slow, the internal leakage in the pump cannot be overcome and the injectors will not pop, thus no fuel. I would check or have your batteries load tested just to rule them out. Also check the connections at the batteries and the engine grounds as they tend to work loose. If you lose one battery due to a poor connection, cranking is much slower.

oldmansax
01-13-2004, 07:25
Pannhead said "209,000 on one IP ,consider yourself lucky...i would check for codes and go from there"

If we can't get at least 400,000 miles on these engines why have a deisel? Any gasser will give you 200,000 now & they are a lot cheaper. Don't get me wrong, I love deisels & have had them since the '70s- but I think we expect way too little in the way of longevity & reliability. I have 214,000 on mine & if I don't get at LEAST 300,000, GM is going to hear from me. They already have on some problems. Just my opinion smile.gif which,along with a dollar, will get you a cup of coffee is some places!

moondoggie
01-13-2004, 09:25
Good Day!

</font> Did your glow plugs cycle when you had trouble warm-starting? Are all your glow plugs working?</font> Is your lift pump working? See my 4 Sep. 03 post. (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=004544#000011) (Click in colored text.)</font>The realist in me agrees with pannhead; the consumer in me agrees with oldmansax. I talked to a guy recently who owns a early 90

cruzer
01-13-2004, 09:45
Shaun, I'm sure you know there are no codes to be
found w/a DB2. I don't think parked 2hrs in 77*
heat constitutes a hot start. When you tried starting it did the glow lite come on? In the past or this time, when you had hard starting HOT did it smoke? It could be pumps head & rotor or w/the amount of miles it could be the timing chain stretched slightly and is retarding the timing a bit. Cold start advances the timing to help it fire, you would also have fast idle at the same time. No fast idle no advance. How's it start cold? Warm? Hot? Smoke? I would also ref posts by the Buffalo Guy. He's been having problems w/starting cold, but his posts go into the operation of cold starting for 92-93 engines. Mine starts hard HOT sometimes (cranks alittle longer)w/a new pump. I believe I need to advance my timing ever so slightly.

W/209k on it, Pump, head & rotor and injectors would certainly help. Then have it dynamically timed.

Are you using any fuel additive?

Shaun091382
01-13-2004, 12:36
When i turned the key on the glow plug light came on once and when it went off i cranked and nothing turn the ingition off then back on glow plug light once then it turned off i cranked still nothing..cold starting is fine if plugged in and batteries full...warm well this episode being in the garage would be warm then and it didnt start...hot will not start after immediate shutdown unless left for hours..my diesel doesnt smoke maybe white smoke for 1 to 2 min on cold startup..where would i get this timing work done? i dont have enough money left over for replacement of timing chain after i get the glow plugs injectors and ip replaced

cruzer
01-13-2004, 13:58
Shaun, Who's doing the pump replacement? If a shop is doing it ask them if they can dynamically time the engine. Or if they have a timing meter.

Around here, I know several people who work at a GM dealerships, I've ask them and all of them say they line up the marks on the inj pump and timing cover. Which is correct, the engine will run, but it should be dynamically timed after the pump install. Fine tuning. They did not know what I was talking about and the dealership did not have the equipment to do so. you just have to call around and ask.

The only place I found around here is the Stanadyne Dealer. They rebiuld pumps and really
don't work on trucks per say, but they had the equipment and do it every once and a while. It cost me about $50.00. Be sure when whoever times it that it is warmed up and the cold advance has disengaged.

Also ref past post from the Buffalo Guy. Use the search function under where it says "new topics".
He and others go into detail on 92-93's cold advance system and they do some checks to see if it is working properly. I wouldn't open up the pump though. At least you will be able to understand how the cold start works. It helped me. My HPCA switch was bad. My cold starts were really smokey and hard starting cold, unplugged
and better plugged but not quite right.

You really should use the "my profile" function next to search and install a description of the vehicle & mods if any like moondoggie mentioned.

Shaun091382
01-13-2004, 14:58
Thanks for your response cruzer, the work is being done by a local Fuel injection shop which specializes in light and heavy trucks and farm machinery as its also rural. Im sure they will be knowledgeable as to what needs to be done..im just trying to get all my info in order so i can ask them and not be taken to the cleaners by them ;) i'm assuming they will be thinking about the timing but there is always another side to the story so is good information to have thanks again,

Shaun