PDA

View Full Version : Onstar Digital Upgrade

Onebigcanuck
02-14-2007, 13:21
Well I'm one of the lucky ones, for the price of 1 years service plus $15.00 I can go from analogue to digital.

Ordered it today at the Dealers.

40grit
02-16-2007, 21:24
what's the added benefit? It's not like I use mine, so I 'm wondering...

farther range? better reception? etc It's still going to be Verizon cellular, correct?

jbplock
02-17-2007, 07:20
what's the added benefit? It's not like I use mine, so I 'm wondering...

farther range? better reception? etc It's still going to be Verizon cellular, correct?

"A decision by the Federal Communications Commission that allows all cell phone companies to turn off their analog networks beginning in February of 2008 means that nearly two million people, or half of OnStar's entire subscription base, will soon find the other end silent when they press that blue button on their vehicle's dash."

More info here ...
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/20/onstar-going-silent-on-millions-of-vehicles/

40grit
02-22-2007, 20:22
so, if I'm reading right, this only applies to car/trucks made prior to roughly 2004...

letsgo
02-23-2007, 15:40
Onebigcanuck,

I assume your Canadian, can you go into more detail as to your digital installation, such as did they take the dash appart, is this digital component an add on to the existing antenna and receiver, was it motorola (services rep.) that did the installation, the $280.00 was that for the unit or was it for a 1 year contract, or is this through a buddy.

I recieved an expiry notice with no options to renew or change to digital.

any help would be appreciated.

drive safe

AB_DURAMAX
02-28-2007, 11:31
Onebigcanuck

I am also interested in how you were notified of the upgrade???

EdHale
02-28-2007, 18:45
If you want to know for sure how you will be effected, push the blue OnStar button and ask them. I just did and I'm digital already. They said 2003 and prior have the older analog equipment. Ed

Onebigcanuck
03-05-2007, 13:59
I went to Onstars web site and found an 800 number to check for a digital upgrade. I had to give them my account info and they advised me my unit could be upgraded. I think you can also just pust the Onstar button and get the info.

I had the work done at my Dealership, which envolved going in prior to the unit being ordered, had to fill out a bunch of forms (on their computer) pay the Dealership for ones years subscription + $15.00. The form was submitted and a few days later the unit was there.

They took the dash apart and repalced the whole modual which sits above the glove box, they also replaced the aerial. They then use the Tech 2 to finish the installation. They advised to call Onstar the next day to make sure it all worked.

I did that and found that the phone service worked but the truck was not sending any info. They transfered me to their tech people and in 5 minutes I was up & running.

Hope this helps.

AB_DURAMAX
03-07-2007, 10:00
Thanks Onebigcanuck, may I ask which dealer you went to??

letsgo
03-07-2007, 16:17
thanks for the info.

drive safe

copperhead
03-27-2007, 12:13
This is interesting, I have a 2003 and I inquired about the upgrade, they said I was upgradeable but that it would cost me three years service agreement.

Onebigcanuck
03-27-2007, 14:22
This is interesting, I have a 2003 and I inquired about the upgrade, they said I was upgradeable but that it would cost me three years service agreement.

I would go to your Dealer and have him bring up the upgrade page from GM, it spells out the cost which is payable to the dealer. See my previous post on the upgrade.

Heartbeat Hauler
03-27-2007, 22:09
We did the upgrade on our Burb in 2005. It was 3 years subscription for us. We travel a lot and my wife travels alone sometimes...it's just peace of mind for me. The cell phone part is a full 3 watts, I believe, and has better range than the hand helds. Also we have the Verizon plan where we share minutes with her hand held and the Burb.
JP

D_R_C
04-03-2007, 15:09
My son has a 2002 Sierra and I called onstar yesterday on this issue and they told me there is no upgrade, the only way to continue service after 12/31/07 is to buy a newer vehicle.:confused:

JohnC
04-03-2007, 16:29
I smell a market opportunity...

GL1800
04-11-2007, 13:07
When I first looked into this a year ago the cost was $300 plus 3 year sub. I just received a notice from OnStar that I could switch for $15 and 1 year sub! May if Iwaited a little longer it will be free! I had my dealer order the parts and I am going to upgrade.

Jeff