PDA

View Full Version : 1998 K3500 overhaul - day 3

derekja
02-14-2007, 20:04
Since our last installment a few things have gotten done. I

a5150nut
02-14-2007, 23:29
Take look at the pitman arm and the idler link too. Week links in these trucks.

derekja
02-15-2007, 00:46
I've got the chilton guide and the alldatadiy version of the service manual, but neither one gives instructions on evaluating the pitman or idler arms, only replacement instructions. If it feels solid is it good?

more special tool questions.. steering linkage puller j-24319-01 and installer j-29193 - needed? aftermarket alternatives?

thanks!

a5150nut
02-15-2007, 07:03
I've got the chilton guide and the alldatadiy version of the service manual, but neither one gives instructions on evaluating the pitman or idler arms, only replacement instructions. If it feels solid is it good?

more special tool questions.. steering linkage puller j-24319-01 and installer j-29193 - needed? aftermarket alternatives?

thanks!

Feel for slop at the end connecting to the tie rod. You will need to remove the steering box to get the arm off and a standard gear puller works fine. Pitman arm is mounted to frame, just unbolt it and seperate from tie rod, pickle fork works fine. Remember to lube pitman arm. Gets missed because you have to drop fron skid plate on 4x4s.

DmaxMaverick
02-15-2007, 10:00
A little foggy-eyed this morning, 5150?

The pitman arm is attached to the steering box output shaft, and the idler arm is attached to the frame. They do get neglected, and I think that's the reason they get on the common failure list. The scream for grease, but don't get enough.

trbankii
02-15-2007, 11:47
I know it seems like the money is just continuing to add up, but I'd replace the steering components while you are in there. If everything else was neglected and in bad shape, those are probably in a similar state. Better to do it now than have it all buttoned up and then find you have to tear it down again a month after that job starts and you need to drive the truck to work...

derekja
02-15-2007, 11:57
ordering question... It's pretty tight in there get at these pieces. Next week I've got to move the truck back a few feet so that I have room to pull the engine out, so I'm putting the front end back together.

I've about got myself convinced that it would be better to get at the pitman arm and idler arm when the engine and radiator and all are out of there to make more room. It doesn't look like anything but the inboard end of the tie rods would need to be touched again if I did things in that order.

Is that reasonable or am I missing some reason that it would be better to do this with the rest of the front end right now?