PDA

View Full Version : Dually rear diff housing ques for K3500

TJ Moose
02-15-2007, 18:07
I'm looking at a '94 4WD dually K3500 pickup with a 2002 vintage 6.5 with about 50K miles on both the engine and 5 spd manual tranny - to buy. Seller is talking $4 grand.

Problem is drunk driver hit back right corner of vehicle- hard enough to bend wheels, diff housing, and even rip suspension mount off frame. I gonna look at it anyway.

Guy says gear ratio is 4.11. He even got a housing for it, but says it won't fit (won't bolt up right), and he's tired of monkeying with it.

Should I choose to go this route (I do have access to a friend with a shop, and those really handy tools - a torch and a welder) I'm wondering what I should be looking out for. What vintage of rear ends will fit, how do I make sure I'm getting a 1 ton rear, etc, etc? I'd love to find something to bolt up - I'm not too concerned about the spring mount, and if the 1 ton frame is bent - then I probably will walk away. But I'm intrigued, as long as I go prepared.

Words of wisdom from you, my brothers and sisters of the 6.5?

redbird2
02-16-2007, 00:54
what does he mean won't bolt up right?
are the spring pads in wrong location?
i would look to see if the backing plates on the brakes are correct, then measure the mount to mount location and make sure the yoke is the same.

i have had some that I have had to tap on the springs to get the center pin to line up with the hole in the axle mount nothing a little tap from a 4lbs hand sledge won't fix.

rear axle housing should not be that had to find for that year truck .

ripping the spring mount off the frame is a very hard hit check the frame real close most likely bent