PDA

View Full Version : 1998 K3500 overhaul - day 4

derekja
02-15-2007, 21:49
Wow, those tie rods were a pain to break off. Anyway, they’re off now. And pickle forks and I are new best friends.

I also got the driver side CV half shaft removed. And got new bolts to repair the sway bar extension. That was rather amazing, actually. I walked into Schuck’s with the complete aftermarket sway bar extension and was looking for two plastic bushings and some heavy duty washers for the other side. My guy at Schuck’s thought a minute and then came up with a completely different part that just happened to contain the strange pieces I needed. I was impressed!

Tonight my compression tester arrived, so I’ll do a compression test tomorrow (except perhaps for cylinder 7 (passenger, rearmost) because I haven’t a clue how to access that glow plug without removing the exhaust manifold.) This is really just for reference, of course, since the spewing coolant pretty much tells me the heads need to come off. (although it’s spewing from the water pump)

Hopefully I’ll get the front end back together tomorrow as well. I decided to wait on the pitman arm and idler arm until the engine is out so that I’ll have more working room. They definitely need replacing, though.

I spent a while messing with carcode as well, which arrived today. Neat piece of software!

NH2112
02-16-2007, 05:59
I haven't been following this thread...but why would you pull the heads to fix a coolant leak from the water pump?

derekja
02-16-2007, 10:33
It was a head gasket leak that lead to the cooling system overpressure which only later blew out the water pump seals. The engine has 215000 miles on it, so I decided it was time for a pretty extensive overhaul.

john8662
02-16-2007, 15:11
Passenger's side rearmost cylinder is #8, numero Siete is on the Driver's side.

You can gain access to this glowplug from underneath, or Reach down from the top and remove the plug and install the compression adapter then hose.

I've done it both ways...

J

NH2112
02-16-2007, 16:42
It was a head gasket leak that lead to the cooling system overpressure which only later blew out the water pump seals. The engine has 215000 miles on it, so I decided it was time for a pretty extensive overhaul.

Wow, good radiator cap LOL