PDA

View Full Version : R & R tips for new exhaust ?

sailun
02-15-2007, 22:00
Just ordered a KD exhaust, anyone have any good R & R tips ?

A picture of where downpipe attaches to turbo would be great.

I don't like breaking old rusty superheated parts.

Not a great mechanic, but persistant.

john8662
02-15-2007, 23:11
IMHO, install the downpipe and take the rest to an exhaust shop and sit and watch while they jack the truck up and install it.

I have done this twice now, they charged me $50 both times.

The hardest part is the downpipe install.

I recommend getting some 2" Header wrap and wrapping the downpipe starting just after the bend, and until it just passes the frame rail. keeps from burning wires nearby (mainly glowplugs).

To get easier access to the downpipe clamp. Remove your airbox from the truck, then remove the radiator recovery tank from the firewall (two bolts) and just move it to the side a bit (mainly the hose that goes to the lower radiator hose). Then you can get to your 11mm nut on the v-band clamp.

Besides that, follow the Destructions.

J

billschall
02-16-2007, 00:20
(1) Sailun:

Better verify the emission laws in CT. Here in PA, diesel-powered vehicles are exempt from the "sniff" test, but must pass a visual inspection. Thus, my current upgrade to a 4" exhaust MUST include something that resembles the factory catalytic converter somewhere along the line, else I get a big fat "F."

It's been somewhat of a challenge, but I think I've got it figured out. Since I'm still tripping over this stuff in my garage, I'll take pics tomorrow and post per the instructions found elsewhere on this site.

(2) John:

What's header wrap?

-Bill

john8662
02-16-2007, 02:13
(2) John:

What's header wrap?

Cloth-Like material to wrap exhaust pipes (Headers on Gassers) that insulates the heat from the engine compartment...

Summit Racing Header Wrap (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DEI%2D010121&N=700+115&autoview=sku)

sailun
02-16-2007, 06:14
Thanks, guys.

I really like the header wrap idea. Did you wrap your crossover pipe, also ?

I'm retaining the cat, and doing the 'resonator' option as per KD's instructions.

Since that requires customizing the cat with cutter and welder, I was gonna take the cat to a welding shop anyway, maybe I'll just let them finish hangin' it.

sturgeon-phish
02-16-2007, 09:07
Sazaw to remove, just cut it off. Makes the work quick. Jack stands to hold new exhaust up while getting it up. Before installing down pipe, bend the flange where the floor board meets the firewall flat to give the pipe more room. You will more than likely spend more time adjusting the pipes than putting them in. Remove the airbox to give room to access downpipe connector. Put the band connecters in place but don't tighten them down completly untill you've got everything twisted the way you like it. Make sure there is no contact between the exhaust and any body componet, give a minimum of 3/8" clearance. Before tightening down make sure the tailpipe exit is parellel to the ground or slightly pitched down to drain condensate.
It was eaiser than I anticipated
Jim

sailun
02-25-2007, 19:48
Gosh, that was fun..................

Sure sounds good.

Off to muffler shop tomorrow, for cat-resonator welding, and see if they can hang it just a wee bit better.

Thanks for everyone's advice. Next time (never agin), I'll take John's advice, and take it to the shop, first.

bmp34
02-25-2007, 23:08
What if your truck didnt come stock with a cat? what are the rules on new exhaust for that one?

john8662
02-25-2007, 23:34
Gosh, that was fun..................

Sure sounds good.

Off to muffler shop tomorrow, for cat-resonator welding, and see if they can hang it just a wee bit better.

Thanks for everyone's advice. Next time (never agin), I'll take John's advice, and take it to the shop, first.

Yep, jobs on your back in the cold (this time of year) aren't fun, and adjusting pipes w/o some kind of jack to hold them while you tighten clamps can be fun.

What if your truck didnt come stock with a cat? what are the rules on new exhaust for that one?

You're not required to install a CAT if your truck didn't come with one. Your year model truck is the main reason exhaust kits don't already come with the exact provisions to mount the cat. So it makes it convenient (for me) to install the system forgetting the kitty in the scrap pile left over... :D

billschall
02-26-2007, 11:38
So it makes it convenient (for me) to install the system forgetting the kitty in the scrap pile left over... :D

Wouldn't toss 'em John. I spent quite a bit of time trying to find one I could...huh...modify.

john8662
02-26-2007, 14:08
Wouldn't toss 'em John. I spent quite a bit of time trying to find one I could...huh...modify.

Who said I actually threw 'em away? The pile's getting tall!

:rolleyes:

J