02-16-2007, 12:06
Will it happen? Maybe?
What would that mean to us?

ronniejoe
02-16-2007, 15:01
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,252396,00.html

baker2acre
02-16-2007, 15:53
I don't know... I think I agree with the last bit of the Fox article ronniejoe posted. Sounds a bit too much like marrying your sister.:eek:

Heartbeat Hauler
02-18-2007, 23:54
Well since GM sold it's share of Isuzu, maybe the new HDs will be Cummins powered. :eek:
JP

Kevin
02-20-2007, 08:38
Well since GM sold it's share of Isuzu, maybe the new HDs will be Cummins powered. :eek:
JP

That would be a good thing.
Just imagine a Chevy with a real engine and the Allison

ronniejoe
02-20-2007, 09:04
It seems to me that the D-Max has shown itself to be a "real engine".

DmaxMaverick
02-20-2007, 09:52

OK. What does that mean? How is a Duramax any less real than a Cummins? Can you show me where/how the Cummins is more of a real engine than the Duramax?

I would expect to see that statement on the TDR. But here??

I would be very suprised if there will be any powertrain changes. GM could take advantage of the variety options. It's the competition between the available choices that pushes technology (and performance) forward.

BTW.....
GM selling part of their Isuzu interest has no effect on Duramax production. Duramax LTD is a company independent of Isuzu and GM. None of the big 3 own the companies that supply Diesel engines for light trucks.

csimo
02-20-2007, 18:34

The problem is that GM is trying to dump the Allison division. A potential new owner would not be interested in the current subsidy pricing model and would either dump the light truck production or raise the price considerably. Either way I'm betting you won't see an Allison transmission in GM light trucks beyond 2009.

-Joe

More Power
02-20-2007, 18:47
Originally Posted by Kevin

Just imagine a Dodge with a real engine and the Allison...

Just playing with ya... ;)

Jim

DmaxMaverick
02-20-2007, 19:20
First off, just because a company is considering an offer for a buyout does not mean they are trying to "dump" the company. Everything's for sale, at the right price. GM may own interest in Allison, but they don't own the company outright. Allison operates independent of GM, but provides a product according to GM's spec. Same goes for Cummins, Duramax, Navistar, etc. Powertrain components are contracted, so it doesn't matter who owns the company.

Secondly, GM, or whoever ends up owning Chrysler, would be stupid to change engine suppliers. Face it. Cummins is the ONLY thing Dodge has going for them in their HD Light Truck product. Without Cummins, Dodge trucks would become invisible....again. How many Dodge trucks have you seen with gas engines lately (outside of government or fleet trucks)?

Thirdly.....Ummm. Never mind.......

csimo
02-20-2007, 19:47
First off, just because a company is considering an offer for a buyout does not mean they are trying to "dump" the company. Everything's for sale, at the right price. GM may own interest in Allison, but they don't own the company outright. Allison operates independent of GM, but provides a product according to GM's spec. Same goes for Cummins, Duramax, Navistar, etc. Powertrain components are contracted, so it doesn't matter who owns the company.

Secondly, GM, or whoever ends up owning Chrysler, would be stupid to change engine suppliers. Face it. Cummins is the ONLY thing Dodge has going for them in their HD Light Truck product. Without Cummins, Dodge trucks would become invisible....again. How many Dodge trucks have you seen with gas engines lately (outside of government or fleet trucks)?

Thirdly.....Ummm. Never mind.......

Not sure where you get your info, but Allison is a wholly-owned division of General Motors (unless GM has been telling us lies on it's annual report since 1929 and Allison lies on their own web site).

Larry Dewey (President of Allison) is the one that made the speech that Allison takes a loss on light truck trannys... not me.

Cummins, and Navistar are seperate publicly traded companies so you can't compare them to a wholly-owned division like Allison. Duramax is a trade name.

The term "dump" was used since that was the term used in many news reports... perhaps "extremely interested in selling" might be a better term to use.

Nobody knows what the future holds, but we'll both find out together. I'm betting that if Allison is sold or spun off, the new management will not be interested in selling their highest volume product at a loss. This is not anything new in the industry.

-Joe

murphyslaw
02-20-2007, 20:44
this will never happen. lets play kinder garden math for a second.

1. Chrysler is broke and in the red
2. GM is also broke and in the red

why would broke a$$ GM buy a failing company? To pull GM further into the deep?

Chrysler isn't making any money, nor is GM. didn't GM just get a bucha money handed to them by the GOV. so they could keep running?

both company's are cutting jobs and products and production. it would not make economical since for this to happen.

think of it as two sinking boats tied together, guess what there both still gonna sink!!

Chrysler would need to be bought by a company that can bail out Chrysler's sinking boat long enough to get it to the ship yard and GM doesn't have a check book thick enough to do that.

it will have to go to a different foreign company cause neither of the big three have the cash to do it.

ronniejoe
02-20-2007, 22:00
The only company that the government has bailed is Chrysler back in the 70's and 80's. No money to GM.

Secondly, DmaxMaverick missed on the Allison business. Allison has been a division of GM for longer than any of us have been alive. It is only recently (last year or two) that GM has "book kept" Allison separately to assess its profitability. Previously, their books were all lumped together with all of GM and you really didn't know their market value. GM tried to sell Allison Transmission Division back in the 90's when they did sell the Allison Gas Turbine Division. The government stopped the transaction. I will be surprised if they sell them this time. I worked for the gas turbine business back then and went through the sale. I know about both of those businesses first hand.

DmaxMaverick
02-20-2007, 22:43
I know Allison is a division of GM. I was referring to the business. Allison is operated separate from GM, and they contract components to GM (themselves), just like they would to Ford, International, Freightliner, etc. Allison is one of a few divisions GM hasn't parted out. There are dozens of divisions under GM. Most all operate independently.

Kevin
02-21-2007, 08:51
It would be a good thing if GM sold Allison, or would spin them off. GM should focus on car & truck production, not big truck transmissions. They could still buy the allision 1000 for use in the pickups.

As far as a real deisel, it woke you guys up. I will say that if GM offered a Duramax or Cummins, I would go with the Cummins. As far as I am concerned the Duramax is a good engine. For the average person it is a good engine. But for a work truck that pulls 26k everyday the Cummins is a better engine. I think it would be great if you could order a Chevy with a Cummins or Duramax. Same with the Dodoge & the Allison. Compitition is a good thing.

D-max Man
03-04-2007, 17:17
this will never happen. lets play kinder garden math for a second.

1. Chrysler is broke and in the red
2. GM is also broke and in the red

why would broke a$$ GM buy a failing company? To pull GM further into the deep?

Chrysler isn't making any money, nor is GM. didn't GM just get a bucha money handed to them by the GOV. so they could keep running?

both company's are cutting jobs and products and production. it would not make economical since for this to happen.

think of it as two sinking boats tied together, guess what there both still gonna sink!!

Chrysler would need to be bought by a company that can bail out Chrysler's sinking boat long enough to get it to the ship yard and GM doesn't have a check book thick enough to do that.

it will have to go to a different foreign company cause neither of the big three have the cash to do it.

Simple, They want the newer factories!

Any factory that is under 30 years old is considered new to them. GM has many factories that were built before 1950 and they require a lot of manitenance. If they can buy Chrysler, drop the low selling models and use the newer plants, they can demolish the high maintenance plants that they now own and sell off the properties thus upgrading their facilities for much less than the cost of building new ones.

Stlheadake
03-09-2007, 09:45
FIRST I have to say I love my Duramax! However, when I was shopping trucks I seriously longed for a Cummins with an Allison Tranny. I feel like that would have been a no brianer. My thoughts were, that Cummins has been around (and basically unchanged) for how long? There are PLENTY of aftermarket parts reasonably priced. AND, they have the power to pull!

Even though I doubt that it could/would actually happen, I think it would be pretty awesome to be able to order a new truck with EITHER the Dmax or Cummins. That would kick A$$! Knowing what I know now, I'd still opt for the Dmax, but just to have the option would rule!!

I can't see GM getting involved here. They are doing all they can to stay afloat now too. Even if they gained the newer plants, they would take on TONS of debt. BUT, IF they did merge, what would they call the new company? GraM?
DodGeM? Could be fun!

baker2acre
03-09-2007, 10:50
Ha ha ahaahahhh!!!! DodGe'M !!! That sounds like a response to the question, "What to do when confronted about a warranty claim." :D Hahahaahhhhh... Oh, my side, cramp.....

Stlheadake
03-09-2007, 11:11
the worst part is the tiny giggles I was having when I was typing that. I keptt missing keys from the giggles!

Shikaroka
03-09-2007, 13:28
Quoted from FoxNews:
"The only one to benefit would be Daimler because they would get rid of Chrysler."

I love that quote!