PDA

View Full Version : peculiar no start

alberta
02-16-2007, 17:18
94 6.5l turbodiesel with history of stalling though would always start right up after tuning on ignition again.Today after uneventful month of driving,after a brief(10 min)stop it would not give any sigh of starting tho was vigoresely turning over.After 15min of this,gasping at straws,I tried it in N instad of Park.Guess what,it started right up!After getting it home,I gave it a try in P and it started.Let me know if you know what that is. kev

gmctd
02-16-2007, 20:59
Welcome to the forum , alberta........

That could be a sign that the shift quadrant has rubbed a hole in some wiring insulation - not a good sign.

But, do a search here on FSD\PMD, stalling\dying for more information

d350diesel
02-17-2007, 10:10
I'm by no means an expert on GM trucks, but I think your neutral safety switch is shot.

gmctd
02-17-2007, 12:19
The P\N switch passes current to the start relay or the starter solenoid - he indicated the engine was 'vigorously turning over', but would not run (start), so that switch is probably ok

d350diesel
02-17-2007, 16:49
D'oh! Missed that, sorry. :o

gmctd
02-17-2007, 17:50
Syntax, my friend - matter of syntax................:)

alberta
02-18-2007, 12:00

That could be a sign that the shift quadrant has rubbed a hole in some wiring insulation - not a good sign.

Thanks will check thread. kevin

alberta
02-21-2007, 02:52

Thanks to your reply,I/ve reviewed FSD\PMD.Can I test for ignition switch failure?I see the switch is in the lower part of the steering column.Is the post of 1-24-07 by ROBYN applicative? kevin

gmctd
02-21-2007, 10:58
Sure - usual sign of failed ign switch is no\erratic WTS indication and warning lites, no starter, stalling\dying but that is another area to investigate

I'm looking for the post by Robyn..................

Ok - yes, anything you haven't tried is a good area to investigate.

If it's all good, you've eliminated something that is not causing the problem

Go to the next area of concern, then the next - as you go thru the system, you'll be doing preventive maintenace that will get you thru the next year, or several, without problems.

sailun
02-21-2007, 19:23
Sounds ALOT like my FSD/PMD failure last year, and my other FSD/PMD failure, a few years before that....................... and alot of other posts, here.

Always starts right back up, until it don't.

Then sometimes, letting it cool off for a while, it will restart. Or not.

Completely random, and unpredictable, except:

Always seems to start the next morning, after the ride home on the flatbed.

gmctd
02-21-2007, 22:13
Have you replaced the module, moved it remote?

alberta
02-23-2007, 00:21
gmctd,can you give me more info on a rubbed hole in some insulation in the shift quadrant?The FSD was replaced a year ago,new batteries,grounds freshened and a new fuel pump installed.What is a good way to bring up codes?There was discussion of GNTDScan.Or using a paper clip? kev

gmctd
02-23-2007, 12:52
Check the wiring harness near the lever with the rod that connects to the transmission shift shaft, see if any wires are bare, or loose connectors - could have been circumstantial, but could also potentially start a fire.

Check out GMTDScanTech at ENGH Motors, flashes at the top of the page every so often, for a pcware OBD1 scanner for a laptop pc.

Allows diagnostics, troubleshooting, and manual control of your EFI system.

A paper-clip between pins A and B of the ALDL connector will dump any DTC stored in the PCM.

F-E-D-C-B-A
G-H-J-K-L-M

Insert clip, turn on IGN but do not start engine - SES will begin to flash codes

The SES indicator will flash the codes in series of three, each, with two pauses between each series -

Blink-pause-blink-blink-pause-pause is 12, meaning operational

35 would be blink-blink-blink-pause-blink-blink-blink-blink-blink-pause-pause

Each code repeats three times, then each succeeding code, and will start over after the last stored code.

alberta
02-24-2007, 15:41
gmctd,how would I check "shift quadrant has rubbed a hole in some wiring insulation"? And other then paying a dealership for code readout what can you do?You mentioned GMTDScan or useof a paper clip.This is a 94,6.5Ltd with 127000mi.The PMD replaced 1yr ago.Also new batterys,,grounds,fp&filter,wastegait cellenoid.There hasn't been a recurrence of the no start this past 3 weeks but then its not getting much use(afraid of using it). kev

coastlogger
02-24-2007, 21:08
I have a problem with a 98 6.5 that may be related and I can't figure out. Most of the time the truck starts fine but once and a while at about 75 deg. C it will not start. Once the engine cools down all returns to normal. Has been on 3 different scanners , pump and EDM are new. Glow plugs all work proper. Any ideas?

gmctd
02-25-2007, 00:00
Kev, reread post #13 - the answers to your questions in 12 and 14 are spelled out therein

gmctd
02-25-2007, 11:02
Welcome to the Page, coastlogger..........

Did any of the scans indicate any DTC's?

Which pump is new?

Where is the EDM located?

coastlogger
02-26-2007, 20:32
GMCTD
Injection pump is new. EDM is remote mounted on cooler mounted on manifold. This is the second EDM since problem started. Transfer pump is about 1 1/2 years ols and comes on when it is suposed to. No codes have ever shown up. I suspect a sender but not sure which one. If I had a choice I would rip out all the electromic garbage and put in a manual pump.

gmctd
02-26-2007, 21:13
Ok, cl - no codes, tho?

Should be a short black wire grounded to a screw on the top of the Inj Pump - is it in place, there?

coastlogger
03-07-2007, 19:17
Ok, cl - no codes, tho?

Should be a short black wire grounded to a screw on the top of the Inj Pump - is it in place, there?
Sorry it took so long to get back but I was away from work for a few days. Just to be sure I put the scanner on to day. Used a Gennisis scanner if it makes any difference. NO codes and no code history. The black wire on top of pump is on. This goes into the FSD harness. Hasn't had a problem again. Next time I will try starting in "N" instead of park.
We all like the 6.2-6.5 book.

gmctd
03-07-2007, 21:28
If you've verified all the connections, grounds and stuff, next time it happens, pull the Optic Sensor plug, see if it will start - will take a while, as it will be starting in Backup Mode off the CPS.

6.2-6.5 book?

coastlogger
03-28-2007, 20:50
I took the truck into the diesel shop where we get pumps and turbos done today and used his scantool. He noticed that the alt. was slow in charging like one diode burned out. As we know that these FSD's are power sensitive I changed the alt. I never mentioned before that the tach quit working properly at about the same time I began having starting problems. The dealer mech. thought that the tach was buggerd up as engine and trans senders worked proper. Any way the tach now works proper and I suspect starting problem will go away.

JohnC
03-29-2007, 11:23
The Tach gets its signal from...

Drum roll.....

The alternator!