PDA

View Full Version : Knocking- Valve or Injector?

robertb6963
02-17-2007, 15:10
So the truck is knocking, smoking, and got a loss of power in lower rpm. I thought it might be a broke valve spring so i pulled the valve covers and there was no loose rockers and all the plastic retainers were in place and not too tight. There was alot of sludge though, haha. So is the problem deeper? No auto parts stores around here have an OBDM1 reader and the check eng light is on, but could that cause the knocking? Maybe a timing issue? P.S. The knocking sounds like its on the passenger side by the turbo, like when you run a diesel w/o the air filter. When I got an air filter for the truck the knock got quieter(truck came w/o an air filter). {Kinda like popping noise coming out of the air cleaner.}

I tested 6 of the injectors while the truck was running, i couldn't get two the back two on the passenger side. And 2 of the 6 were bad. So lets say the other 2 were bad (the ones i could get to), thats 4 of the 8 injectors, half the motor. That would explain the smoke and the loss of power, but does that explain the knock. In other words, in what insance would an injector knock?

Aww,my keyboard is covered in grease now! Thanks in advance guys!

a5150nut
02-17-2007, 18:55
You don't need a code reader for a 94. Under the dash you will find the OBD1 plug. The 2 upper right terminals, use a jumper (bent wire or paper clip) to connect them. Now turn on ignition and count the blinks of the SES light.
1, 1,2 /1, 1,2 /1,1,2 indicates system is working. Any fallowing (1,2,3, 1,2,3,4) would be 3 4, indicate the problem. Refer to ref section or manual for code decriptions. :)