PDA

View Full Version : Radio Backlighting

Chris611
10-13-2003, 04:12
This morning the backlighting for the number 3 & 6 presets went out. I assume there must be one buld or LED that lights those two. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get to the buld and also what the part number is? Its a '97 Silverado truck with the factory AM/FM cassette radio. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Bobbie Martin
10-13-2003, 06:37
There are small light bulbs, not LEDs. I have heard its a real pain plus you can ruin the radio if you don't know what you are doing when you change the bulbs. I took our radio to a local radio service center and they replaced the bulbs for $35. However, in another 2 years or so, a bulb burned out again so they are not the most reliable.

rjschoolcraft
10-13-2003, 07:10
I, too, have some burned out lights. What kind of damage can be done to the radio?

Bobbie Martin
10-13-2003, 09:41
When the lights burned out in my radio, I went to the radio repair place looking for the bulbs. The tech told me it was a pain plus he repaired a lot of units when owners tried to replace the bulbs. He claimed you had to remove some of the circuit boards and they were very easy to damage and unless you followed specific electrostatic procedures. He quoted me $35 to replace the bulbs, so I let him do it. Now he could have been trying to make a quick hours labor, I'm not sure. Incidentally, I replaced my radio with a CD player. If anyone is looking for a Delco AM/FM/Cass that will operate a CD changer, let me know.

tswartos
10-13-2003, 10:30
mine are totally out, i asked the dealership what the cost would be they rolled there eyes and said it wasnt worth the cost. So I figured what the heck and left it alone. If there is a way let me know, too.

bnmccoy
10-13-2003, 13:46
About 2-1/2 years ago I tried to get a valid number for the lamps from several places that repair GM radios on the internet to no avail. I finally pulled mine out and measured the voltage on the bulbs and went to Radio Shack and purchased the closest lamps (which were physically smaller). There are other parameters with respect to small lamps which I did not try to match (lumens, current, etc).

The Radio Shack lamps were slightly brighter. I ended up moving some of the old good lamps so that they were closest to each other and all the newer ones were likewise. I would have probably shotgunned it but they didn't have that many lamps in stock.

I could initially notice the brightness difference but after about a year there is no observable difference!

My background is electronics. I have the fancy pneumatic desoldering station, etc. at my home.

If you're good with electronics and know how to desolder w/o ruining PC boards you shouldn't have any problem using solder wick, etc. You need to understand precautions to take for static.... There is usually less chance of damage to the PC board if you cut the device out, use needle nose pliers to pull the leads out (one at a time) while heating with a soldering iron... then use solder wick to clear the hole.

I'll try to remember to check which lamp I used and post same when I am at home.

Frankly, I think $35 is quite reasonable.

Bob