PDA

View Full Version : Block heater WTF

jmpidgeo
02-18-2007, 11:50
Well, my original block heater wasn't working when I first got my truck, about 6 months ago...so I got it replaced 2 weeks ago. 4 days later, it wasn't working again, got it replaced. Worked like a champ, until I had it plugged in all night last night and my truck won't start this morning. Started fantastic yesterday, but this morning as soon as I noticed the glow plugs on for longer than they should be...I knew something was up. Cranks real slow, like it does when cold, and won't quite fire enough to start. Put ah ohm meter on the cord, and there is no circuit. WTF?

Both times, the block heater was replaced with a new heater and cord.
Extension cord is new and plugged into a good outlet (our washing machine uses the same outlet without any trouble ever.

What could be causing my truck to be killing block heaters?

a5150nut
02-18-2007, 14:29
[QUOTE=What could be causing my truck to be killing block heaters?[/QUOTE]

How long is your extention cord and what gage is it? Could be to much line loss. Or has it come unpluged from the block heater it self?

Cranking RPM has to hit 100rpm before fuel computer will give any to the injectors.

jmpidgeo
02-18-2007, 17:09
How long is your extention cord and what gage is it? Could be to much line loss. Or has it come unpluged from the block heater it self?

Cranking RPM has to hit 100rpm before fuel computer will give any to the injectors.

extension cord is 50 feet, but i don't remember what gauge. its just your standard, orange, outdoor extension cord. as far as i know, it did not get unplugged...i don't know how it would have...but i did not check before i had the truck towed away

it seems to crank about 300 or so RPM, and it kinda fires, but not quite enough to get it running...but at that point, the battery drained too much.

billschall
02-18-2007, 21:29
...had it plugged in all night last night...

What could be causing my truck to be killing block heaters?

First: Why run 'em all night? It's not necessary. 30 minutes, maybe 60 is plenty - even on those frigid single-digit mornings.

Second: if batteries die quickly after cranking, I'd look into the charging system as the problem. A 600W block heater will pull 5 amps while a 1200W will double that. Any 14ga cord should be fine for the service. If an extension cord is too light, it's not going to blow out the appliance anyways - it'll melt the cord at the weakest point.

I don't think your cord is too light. My money's on either your batteries, your alternator or both (as was my case earlier this winter).

-Bill

arveetek
02-19-2007, 15:20
Short block heater life could be caused by improper installation. Check out this thread (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=26389) for more info.

Casey

jmpidgeo
02-19-2007, 19:58
Ok, maybe I wasn't clear about the amount of cranking it takes to drain the batteries, but it is quite a bit. Charging system reads 14 or over all the time while running...so i doubt that is the issue.

i have it plugged in all night, just so i dont have to go out and plug it in the morning...and i don't want to run a timer, because those seem like a PITA.

and i have had no issues with the cord...so idk.

jmpidgeo
02-19-2007, 19:59
Short block heater life could be caused by improper installation. Check out this thread (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=26389) for more info.

Casey

i've never done it, but the shop who i have had do it the first 2x has probably had plenty of experience.

morgan
02-21-2007, 20:22
A timer is the way to go. I leave for work anytime between 7 and 8:30, so I have my timer come on at 6am and off at 9am. The timer is mounted on the wall beside a recepticle in the garage, cord runs under garage door to driveway. Unplug before getting into truck, then plug back up upon returning home at night.

gmpidgeo, how is that a PITA?

Also, I have one of those "heavy duty" power cords with clear plastic end terminals, containing a single LED bulb that is "ON" when power is available, so I can easily tell if the timer is on or off by looking out window at the female terminal at truck. Nice.

jmpidgeo
02-22-2007, 08:58
PITA because I have to run my cord through the drier hot air exit going into the basement, then there is only 2 feet, weaving through all of the houses' electrical sh1te to get to the outlet.