PDA

View Full Version : Basic upgrades?

larryh1
02-20-2007, 14:55
I am just starting with the diesel motor. Did my first long pull (500 miles) and was not pleased with my mileage at all. (see my response in DMax 6600 - gas mileage). I am going to a 4" exhaust, superchip tuner, and maybe a different filter. After reading about filters here, I don't know if I'll change.
Does this setup sound like it is going to help me? Or is the sales person trying to make some money off a newbe? I am not looking for "smoke the tires" power. I want decent mileage with decent power.

Thanks everyone, I really enjoy reading what everyone has to say.

Larry.

SoTxPollock
02-21-2007, 12:19
Larryh1, just let me say my truck felt sluggish until it got about 20, 000 miles on it it continues to run better and stronger the longer it runs, its getting close to 100, 000 miles now and really runs strong like I always thought it should. Give the engine a chance to break in you won't be sorry.

larryh1
02-21-2007, 15:10
Okay, thanks SoTx.
I checked with the dealer, who was very good about it. He said the same thing as you and he let me bring the truck in and checked everything while I waited. No error codes, everything is set right, no flow problems and he checked for any service bulletins. Everything is good. He said be patient and keep checking it....he will work with me.

Larry

Prestonia24
02-21-2007, 22:30
I'd say the first 3-5000 miles on my LBZ i was getting terrible mileage. I started getting much better mileage somewhere near 4k miles... It just seemed like it needed the break in, and i needed my Right foot to get used to where the sweet spot was in my new Diesel. (coming from 5.3L gasser)

I also noticed i was running 20lbs low in my front tires... (not good for gas mileage).

The 285/65s that are on there state max PSI of 80, and last check they weren't even pudgy, but were reading at 58 using my new analog tire gauge. Typically i load them between 70-75, as i could care less for the ride quality, I want less friction and better mileage.

Seeing mid 17s, and approaching 18mpg combined city/hwy after 7800 miles.

larryh1
02-22-2007, 14:58
I run my tires on the high end too, Prestonia. I'm like you, I'm not concerned about the ride. I think before I do any upgrades I'm going to drive it more and start driving it a little harder. I've been concerned about the breakin and did not put my foot in it like I would normally drive.

Thanks for the reply.

Larry

Stlheadake
02-27-2007, 13:43
I run my tires on the high end too, Prestonia. I'm like you, I'm not concerned about the ride. I think before I do any upgrades I'm going to drive it more and start driving it a little harder. I've been concerned about the breakin and did not put my foot in it like I would normally drive.

Thanks for the reply.

Larry

I have an 06 LLY one month later my dad got an 06 LBZ we have been comparing notes since last May. I babied mine for the first 2K or so looking for the 'best' milage. I averaged (mostly city driving with most hops less than 20 miles or so) around 14-15mpg (using onboard computer). I was VERY disappointed!

Dad was doing more or less the same. His LBZ was seeing 13 -14 but I attribute that difference to the right foot. He was used to driving his 6.2 (still runing strong at 220K getting 24 hwy mpg!) which is admittedly anemic compared to his LBZ.

I have 11K on the clock, have had a couple of long trips and average around 18 empty on the hwy. I'm still not tickled, but it was getting better. Dad took a 4k trip to AZ and through the Rockies this fall and averaged 20 (hand calculated)on cruze!

I did just order a custom tune and exhaust from Kennedy. I am looking for milage both towing and empty. With these mods, I should do a little better. Enough for them to pay for themsleves in fuel savings (I HOPE!)

larryh1
03-02-2007, 11:00
2/28/07 I pulled my trailer 230 miles. Trailer was loaded, approx 9,000 lbs, drove 65/70. Just turned 6,000 miles. Drove it like I normally would.....did not baby it for breakin or milage purposes. 8.5 mpg!!! I am going to try the superchip brand. I was told by the local diesel performance dealer that is a good brand if you are just looking for good milage and easy to use. I will also go to different exhaust.
3/2/07 I checked after 100 miles, city/ hwy driving. 14mpg. If I didn't love this truck so much I would start getting worried, but I'm keeping it no matter what. The way it drives, the way it pulls, there is nothing that compares. I have friends that have ford diesel's and I have owned Fords. I have ridden and driven them. There is no comparison. The Ford pulls good and gets better milage, but doesn't ride/drive as good, is not as comfortable and is not build as well. I'll keep working on my chevy for better milage.

Thanks for reply

Larry