PDA

View Full Version : IP to timing cover gasket

billschall
02-20-2007, 20:37
I've been studying these pages recently in preparation for my forthcoming, initial experience in setting up the timing. Tonight, I loosened the three 12pt nuts but could not budge the pump with my bare hands. Upon closer observation, I discovered that someone (won't point any fingers) had used Permatex High-Tack gasket cement on the IP/timing cover gasket.

I don't suppose any of you guys have pleasant news for me do you?

sailun
02-21-2007, 18:44
Huh....... That must be why I couldn't move mine, when I tried it, several years ago.

You think it came from the factory this way ?

And I'm just about to order the Car Code software, so I could re-time it next week.

I'll be watching this thread.

gmctd
02-21-2007, 22:20
No, oem is just gasketed - whatever you do, do not attempt to rotate the DS4 with the ESO solenoid, as the injector pipe tension prevents movement, even when the IP is loose.

You'll need the special IP spanner tool, or one similar, and max rotation for increased performance is only 2mm, for +5deg advance.

billschall
02-21-2007, 22:28
Huh....... That must be why I couldn't move mine, when I tried it, several years ago.

You think it came from the factory this way ?

Maybe, but I'M the MORON that used the High-Tack on the freakin thing. Dude, I had horrible visions last night of having to either rip the intake off and c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y try to R&R the injection driven gear OR pull the timing cover back off and everything in front of it.

I complained this AM to a guy at work about it and he handed me a BIG pair of pump pliers and said, "Get a good hold of the body and g-e-n-t-l-y try to rock it back and forth to loosen it. Don't get carried away."

IT WORKED!!!!

Although the pliers worked, I think those spanner wrenches would be far more appropriate for the job... now where have I heard THAT before?