PDA

View Full Version : 4wd Front Axle

StephenA
10-13-2003, 08:05
My parts came in for my front axle actuator upgrade & before I pick them up, I have a few questions. Currently, when I shift into 4wd with the old actuator, sometimes the 4x4 light comes on, stating I'm engaged, & I can hear the collar stop making spline noise, so it should be engaged, yet on spinning the tires going uphill, the front wheels are not pulling. Is it possible I have more to replace than just the actuator? Does the collor or spline have a history of wearing out?

Uncle Wally
10-13-2003, 12:39
Stephen,

I've never heard of that happening, but that doesn't mean that that is the case. I would install the actuator and see what happens. I think the light just comes on when all the electrical stuff is working as it should. Meaning that the heater is working to heat/expand the gas in the old style actuator. But there has been enough gas leakge out of the orignal that it does not engage.

To go in and change the collar and whatever it engages with inside the axle would not be a fun project. I believe that entails pulling the front axle out to get at it. I'll peruse my manual and see what they way about it.

Waldo

Jim P
10-13-2003, 13:20
Stephen,

I had trouble with mine not wanting to engage sometimes so I took mine apart and the axle with the splines has a small pin sticking out the end that keeps the shaft inline when not engaged. This pin on mine was broke off. This pin is supposed to be part of the shaft. I drilled and reamed a hole in the end of the shaft, on a lathe and pressed in a new pin. So far it seems to be working ok. I'm not saying this is your problem but if the new actuator don't do the trick, then I would check this out.

It really wasn't too bad of a job to get it apart. If I remember right, I unbolted the axle out by the wheel and took out the bolts bolting the other end to the differential and two big bolts that bolts the axle tube to the frame and it came right off.

StephenA
10-13-2003, 13:39
Thanks tons Wally and Jim. Installing the new actuator looks like the way to go, first- along with some prayers...
Which side axle did you remove, Jim- driver's or passenger side? Did the pin come out with an oil change or become lodged in the axle some where? If mine is busted & I can't lathe it, then do I buy a new axle part or what?

Jim P
10-13-2003, 15:56
I took off the passengers side axle. The pin goes into a needle bearing if I remember correctly. My pin was still in the bearing when I took it apart. I think I had to use a magnet to pull it out because it had nothing to get ahold of. Unfortunately if you can't get it machined to accept a new pin you will have to buy a new axle.

Jim P
10-13-2003, 16:15
Stephen,

I originally told you that I removed the bolts out by the wheel but after thinking about it, that is not true. The bolts are on the inner cv joint. I think there are 6 bolts but don't hold me to that.

Also, when my axle was broke, if I grabbed the inner cv joint and tried to move it up and down, back and forth, you could clearly tell that the splined end of the axle was not attached to any thing. This would be an easy way to check yours. Just make sure that when you try to check yours for play that you have it in 2-wheel drive because if the spline is engaged, it will hold the splined end of the axle steady and it will seem like there is nothing wrong with it. This probably won't be a problem as long as the key is off because I think that everytime you shut the truck off, the splined coupling disengages because it looses power the actuator.

Sorry to run on. I'm better at working on the truck than writing(as you can tell).

StephenA
10-13-2003, 20:06
Thanks Jim- your explanations are excellent. I'll be checking it out in the morning. Really appreciate all the help!

JohnC
10-15-2003, 11:21
There are 2 indicator lights, one for the front drive shaft and one for the axle. The drive shaft should come on as soon as you move the t-case lever to 4wd. The axle light should not come on until the axle has engaged. There is a contact inside that makes it light. If you can hear something grinding, that is not a good sign! If the light is on and the axle is not pulling, I'm pretty sure something inside the axle is bad.

andrewfessler
10-15-2003, 11:48
On my old 95 burb, I had to replace the transfer case due to the old solenoid relay for the front axle not engaging correctly. It caused a binding causing the chain in the transfer case to jump and crack the case.

I took the truck to the dealer. They said, you need the new electric drive actuator instead of the old style solenoid as we have had problems with it sticking in cold weather. The new actuator just screws in the front axle where the old one was.

So they replaced it free of charge. However, they didnt catch the cracked transfer case....so a few thousand miles, it started making grinding sounds pretty horrible.....all because there was no fluid in there. (tis how i found out it was cracked too)

I ended up replacing it myself, $250 from junkyard. Took me and another guy about 3 hours to replace. (was out of warranty)

Chewed the dealer out, they just said, sorry.

Don't know how similar the 92 front axle is to the 95, but perhaps this will give you some assistance . . .

StephenA
10-15-2003, 11:50
Thanks John- I'll know pretty soon whether it's the lady or the tiger. If it's the tiger Jim's fix seem doable, though...,

Jim P
10-16-2003, 18:38
Stephen,

I was just wondering what you found out on your truck.

StephenA
10-17-2003, 06:56
Hi Jim,
Thanks for inquiring. Truth is I've been working OT the last few days, & won't get a chance to look at it 'till next week. In case I find a sheared pin, I'm looking for a machine shop. If you don't mind emailing me your email address, I'll keep you posted & maybe you can give me some more pointers when I get out the wrenches?

StephenA
10-25-2003, 11:06
Well I finally installed the stepper motor actuator - had to grind part of the axle down to get it to seat properly enough for the threads to grab. Works like a charm, immediately turning on the 4x4 light. You can hear it engage, so that's nice. Only problem is, that wasn't what was wrong with my front drive... -the front wheels still don't turn. Guess I'm gonna need some more help. Where did you say that pin was?