PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a York Air Compressor on a 6.5

seth_95
02-22-2007, 15:12
I was wanting to put an onboard air system on my 6.5. I was wanting to use to York because its belt driven and puts out a lot of air. Its a York 210 and I have a serp clutch on it. I dont know where to mount it because there isnt a lot of room on my 6.5. Has anyone done this here and if so how did you do it and do you have any pics? Thanks a bunch!

Seth

DA BIG ONE
02-23-2007, 05:16
Perhaps, it can be mounted off motor like welders are. York being big may fit where the extra alternator goes at the drivers side and top of motor. In any case you are looking at fabricating your own brackets, or finding online portable welder brackets to get it going.

I mulled this idea more than a few times but went to an ARB mini compressor used for air lockers and airing up tires off road. Costly, but has been reliable for my use.

kaylabryn
02-23-2007, 09:06
Take a look at the compressors that sport compacts and low riders use for their bagged trucks. They have 3/4 horse 100% duty cycle compressor for like 250 or less. Can be put most anywhere there is room on the truck. I have not done this yet but am going to. My buddy has one on his F-250, he uses it all the time at the dunes, has a small 5 gal tank hooked up to it for storage.

JohnC
02-23-2007, 11:17
If you're talking about the compressor I think you are, a York recipricating compressor, I'd be a little leary about trying that. A nearly identical compressor was used commonly back in the 70's for airconditioning. They were big, heavy and had a long moment and tended to vibrate The mounts were constantly cracking. If I never see another one it'll be too soon! ;)

big61fourby
02-24-2007, 15:33
Actually, that York 210 will work quite well as a air compressor. Has its own oil chamber, so no need to worry about keeping the seals happy. I have one on my 1961 Chevy 4x4 (see sig). I ran it off the PTO, rather than directly off the engine. This ain't no hobby compressor--it'll run air tools, fill large tires, etc no problem. Show me a 12 v electric compressor that'll run 8 CFM all day long...

Have you been to this (http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/replacement-parts.htm)website? They have a good selection of parts, kits, etc for these compressors. They don't have a kit for a 6.5, but they might have some parts that could be adapted. I think most of their kits use a replacement alternator pulley that has room for 2 belts. Might be worth looking into, but remember, the tach signal comes from the alternator, so make sure you get a pulley the same size as your current one.

I took some measurements a while back, and realized that it would be a pretty snug fit on a 6.5. If you end up doing this, keep us posted with pic--I'd be interested in seeing them.

JoeyD
02-25-2007, 17:46
There is an ad in this months four wheeler about using the new style compressors.
www.extremeoutback.com

DA BIG ONE
02-26-2007, 07:49
Perhaps, a small portable gas motor driven compressor w/remote composit tank is a better choice for heavy duty off road duty!

I've been served rather well by my electric ARB air compressor, fixing flats, & airing up tires in remote areas so I'm happy.

TJ Moose
02-26-2007, 20:28
I got a York pumping air on my Jeep 304 for filling tires and running tools, using a tank - but that's a cinch since its an AMC motor, and its what AMC used for A/C. Found a bracket in a bone pile, and installation was a snap.

The York is a good sized piece 'o'meat - and I quite frankly don't know exactly where you'd put one under the hood of a 6.5. Maybe some way to jockey one in if you took the vac pump out - but if its just occasional use, I think some of the electrical options mentioned above are just easier (although they do lack that "gee whiz" quotient appreciated by the motorheads we got in this little community of ours.)

As for Kilby - (the website noted) yeah - they have good stuff - but it should be - for the $$$$ they want for stuff (you'd think it was going under the hood of a Durabux) and they cop a total attitude if you only want to buy a few parts from them to make your own creation fit together - and not a whole system. They say - "you didn't buy everything from us - we don't even want to talk to you." I can see their point - I just don't particularly like the way they make it.

If you don't want your A/C - we have some guys take a stock A/C pump, put Slick 50 in it, turn it a bit, then use it for an air compressor. Sure it'll crap out after a while. But if you buy it from someone who says they'll give you lifetime replacements - I suppose its worth a try for a little while. Better live in a temperate part of the country though........

Nobby
02-27-2007, 08:53
I am also currently investigating the same thing and as already mentioned a converted York seems to work fine. You can use the other style AC compressors however they will need an inline oiler whereas the York has a separate oil reservoir. The York can be mounted horizontally as long as the suction port is up. The following link explains it well

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/yorkair.html

I am considering the extra alternator location to mount it gonna be real tight tho.

cheers
Nobby

seth_95
02-28-2007, 12:31
Ya Since mine is a 95 I dont know where I could put it. Is there an extra alternator configuation spot on these 95 or is it 96+? I thougt about putting it by the alternator and Power Steering pump if it could fit it vertically but I dont know yet. Fabbing the mount is going to be the challenge.