PDA

View Full Version : Need Dual Shocks, so

DA BIG ONE
02-23-2007, 05:36
I've been mulling around dual shocks for some time now, bought aftermarket hoop setup but will not work on my burb w/o lift.

So, considering modifying the stock mounts to mount 2 stock shocks each back is not a big deal, but up front I'd have to move the upper mounting point out from chassis to say 2+"'s and wondering if the change of angle of upper mount would defeat what I'm trying to do, or?

Robyn
02-23-2007, 09:56
I have a set of dual shock mounts that came factory on a Burb. I bought these for a few bucks at a local wrecking yard.

The lower mounts stay pretty much the same with the addition of some spacers.
Trot off to the bone yard and do some snooping. The yard grunt will have to torch the rivets off to get the mounts off the frame.

get all the goodies that are on the dodor and your set.
use an air die grinder and a carbide bur or a cutoff wheel and knock the exisiting brackets off the rig and bolt the new ones on with grade 8 bolts and swedge type lock nuts assemble the new shocks with the spaces and stuff and your set with the factory dual shock setup.

I am thinking about using the setup I have on my 91 .
Was going to use them on the Hummer project but the Burb, having been jacked up a bunch and all with springs really could use some help in the bounce dept.

Robyn

JoeyD
02-23-2007, 18:47
Why do you need dual shocks?

DA BIG ONE
02-23-2007, 21:15
Why do you need dual shocks?

I was told to curb big tire bounce on my burb. Getting weard tire wear.

JoeyD
02-24-2007, 07:52
What size tires? Have you tried the Bilstiens? I run them on my 98 and even with the plow on it does a good job of controlling the front end bounce when on the road.
I guess the next thing would be a custom valved shock from an off road shop.

DA BIG ONE
02-26-2007, 05:45
What size tires? Have you tried the Bilstiens? I run them on my 98 and even with the plow on it does a good job of controlling the front end bounce when on the road.
I guess the next thing would be a custom valved shock from an off road shop.

I run Bilsteins HD they maybe last 2 years if that on my burb, I'm thinking custom valved rebuildable bilstein shocks but do not know how to calculate proper valving any help here is welcome......

JoeyD
03-02-2007, 17:36
What happens to the shocks, fade, leak, or just stop working? Have you ever cycled the suspension to see if they are limiting your travel and thats why they don't last?
I will look on Pirate for a shock shop or go to www.pirate4x4.com and look through the vendor section.

DA BIG ONE
03-02-2007, 19:55
What happens to the shocks, fade, leak, or just stop working? Have you ever cycled the suspension to see if they are limiting your travel and thats why they don't last?
I will look on Pirate for a shock shop or go to www.pirate4x4.com and look through the vendor section.

Shocks fade, replaced them w/HD Bilsteins again, the new shocks will work for awhile then fade too, I'm sure different valving and higher grade shocks are needed. I need to learn how to figure which valving would be best for my type of driving and load.

I visit pirate a few times a week..........great site.