PDA

View Full Version : 2 cycle engine oil to add lubricity to fuel

dmaxmule
02-23-2007, 16:56
I have heard that some dodge owners are using two cycle oil to ad oil to the fuel to lube the pumps. My DMAX mechanic at local dealer recomended it off the record. does anyone have any advice or experience doing this? I am starting to hear a new flutter/clatter when pulling hard grades. 17000 on truck

dieseldummy
02-23-2007, 20:12
I run 2 stroke oil in my fuel in place of Stanadyne or Power service. I've heard reports of it quieting the motor down and bringing balance rates back in line. That new noise you are hearing could be your flywheel like mentioned in the other thread.

Idle_Chatter
02-23-2007, 21:33
Since the swapover to ULSD, I've been adding 2-stroke oil to my fuel at a ratio of 1 ounce per gallon of fuel (1:128). I've noticed a smoother idle, quieter operation and it feels a bit "spunkier" that before the oil. I was sold by numerous confirmations of improved injector balance rates with the addition of 2-stroke oil to the fuel.

JohnnyR
02-26-2007, 09:50
I know a lot of people used to use 2 cycle oil or even ATF. But that was before we got stuck w/catalytic converters. I would think it would plug the converter over time.

FBJR
02-28-2007, 22:14
I was told by a local Diesel shop to use ATF to the tune of 1 qt every 3-4 fill. I aksed why not every tank and he said because the fuel circulates you don't need it everytime.

Is 2 stroke oil better? I have an LBZ but the Cat walked away ;)

FB

dieseldummy
02-28-2007, 22:18
2 stroke oil is better in the respect that it is low in ash since it is meant to be burned as fuel. ATF and other oils will cause ash deposits in the combustion chamber and injector tips.

More Power
03-01-2007, 14:53
The additive packages found in lube oil & ATF, when used as a fuel additive, could poison the catalyst - kill the 2007 Diesel Particulate Filter. Commercial diesel fuel additives engineered to work with the new diesel emissions system will likely increase fuel economy enough to pay for itself (due to a cetane improver). There's no economic payback with oils & ATF. :(

Jim

Craig M
03-01-2007, 17:53
In the old days, 2 stroke oil, 30 weight motor oil, ATF, and Marvels were all used in diesel fuels with no ill affects, and maybe some good effects. With the new engines and diesel fuel, these old additives are now wifes tales and may well not be good for the modern electronic diesel engines. There are lots of old truckers around and these additives keep getting mentioned again and again, but as More Power sugggest, beware!

FBJR
03-06-2007, 13:01
OK, so taking the ULSD and the HPFS (high pressure fuel system) into account and say w/o the cat ;) , what if any additive would be reasonable if any?

FB