PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in a new LMM 6.6

schillgd
02-24-2007, 23:37
Any pearls of wisdom from you DMax wizards on the best way to break in a new Duramax? Any info would be great.:confused:

2tough2park
02-25-2007, 11:22
No pearls here, just a lot of fake gold. But I'd like your opinion on the LMM. I'm regretting now not waiting for the 07s. I'm in love with the new body style and some of the upgraded features but the hard to find ULSD made me grab the 06 LBZ instead. Oh well. Can't take it back.
Where do you get fuel? All the pumps here, including a very high volume truck stop on Rt17 still have the LSD decals. PLUS, I just read that the diesel infrastructure won't be purged of LSD until about 2010!

DmaxMaverick
02-25-2007, 12:01
You should not be pumping ANY LSD in the US or Canada. January 1 was the hard deadline for US fuel suppliers to be fully converted to ULSD. The earlier "soft" deadline was October 15, IIRC, where only small fines would be imposed by non-compliants, but huge fines (as well as shutdowns) are supposed to be imposed on any supplier with LSD after January 1. To my knowledge, the deadlines have not been changed.

If your supplier's pumps still sports a LSD sticker, it should only be a sticker, but no LSD fuel in the storage tank. The first responsibility is at the refinery, which is prohibited from supplying any non ULSD for highway use.

If for any reason a supplier still has LSD, you should not be buying that fuel anyway. It's been sitting in the storage tank for several months. Stick with the name brands and higher volume suppliers and you'll be fine.

As far as the breakin goes, nothing special that I'm aware of. Break in the rear end correctly, then drive it like you stole it....at least for a little while, anyway. The rear end needs to be work hardened, so keep heavy use limited to short heat cycles and allow for cooling. A good process has been 500 miles of moderate/heavy towing or 5000 miles of normal driving. Vary highway speeds and allow for cooling, more often for towing. Once the breakin is complete, change the lube and drive on. The engine will break in on its own time, but sooner the harder you drive it. Early and often oil changes are beneficial for removing assembly contaminants. Every 1000 miles for 5000 miles is slight overkill, but will clean it out. If you are switching to synthetic engine oil, I suggest at 10K or more, but it probably doesn't matter. The tranny spin on filter should be changed after about 5000 miles, and an early tranny service, 25K for normal driving, and less according to load hauling.

More details and other opinions can be had by searching the forums. Lots of good info available.

Buck
02-25-2007, 12:34
There is a new mobil station that just opened about mid-January in Monroe, WI. The stickers posted on the pumps state "low sulfur diesel 500 ppm or less" I know for a fact that all the diesel stations in the area regardless of brand get their diesel from the same supplier. This new fuel is haaaard to find around here.....

I really like the new '07s to, keep us posted on how it runs and how you like it. Congrats on the new truck:)

DieselMonk
02-25-2007, 15:00
You should not be pumping ANY LSD in the US or Canada. January 1 was the hard deadline for US fuel suppliers to be fully converted to ULSD. The earlier "soft" deadline was October 15, IIRC, where only small fines would be imposed by non-compliants, but huge fines (as well as shutdowns) are supposed to be imposed on any supplier with LSD after January 1. To my knowledge, the deadlines have not been changed.

If your supplier's pumps still sports a LSD sticker, it should only be a sticker, but no LSD fuel in the storage tank. The first responsibility is at the refinery, which is prohibited from supplying any non ULSD for highway use.

If for any reason a supplier still has LSD, you should not be buying that fuel anyway. It's been sitting in the storage tank for several months. Stick with the name brands and higher volume suppliers and you'll be fine.

As far as the breakin goes, nothing special that I'm aware of. Break in the rear end correctly, then drive it like you stole it....at least for a little while, anyway. The rear end needs to be work hardened, so keep heavy use limited to short heat cycles and allow for cooling. A good process has been 500 miles of moderate/heavy towing or 5000 miles of normal driving. Vary highway speeds and allow for cooling, more often for towing. Once the breakin is complete, change the lube and drive on. The engine will break in on its own time, but sooner the harder you drive it. Early and often oil changes are beneficial for removing assembly contaminants. Every 1000 miles for 5000 miles is slight overkill, but will clean it out. If you are switching to synthetic engine oil, I suggest at 10K or more, but it probably doesn't matter. The tranny spin on filter should be changed after about 5000 miles, and an early tranny service, 25K for normal driving, and less according to load hauling.

More details and other opinions can be had by searching the forums. Lots of good info available.

So far here in eastern Cadada are all diesel pumps ULSD since last September.

schillgd
02-25-2007, 17:40
Ok, Here is my breakin plan, I'm hopefully picking up my truck in the middle to end of March and making a 2200 mile trip down to OHIO empty to pick up my new trailer that weighs around 8500 lbs and then hauling it back home. I'm thinking that the trip down empty and the trip back loaded should get things lubricated and ready for the day to day. It will be basically six days of driving. I will of course stop at the most route friendly GM dealer for a service along the way....Comments?

cowboywildbill
02-25-2007, 17:46
I didn't know that the LMM's were on the dealers lots yet. Our local dealer said that he didn't expect any until mid March or even April. Let us know how it does as far as mpg and power and how it sounds. Also a BIG QUESTION "How much does the GVCWR say for it.

schillgd
02-25-2007, 18:37
I'll let you all know when I get it and whats its like. I'm totally pumped! I hear that the crews will start production on Feb 26th so I should be in the as I ordered it about two days after the dealers got enough info to order them.:D

mark45678
03-02-2007, 17:44
Break in on diesels... In my opinion and this is what I do. run it about 30~50 miles so everything gets up to full temp ,park it and let it cool off ( the rearend is the hottest part most of the time) . drive it like you have a egg under your foot until its warm then ask for some power like at a stop lite. drain the fluids around 500 miles (rearend ,t case, motor oil) after it has 500 miles more and the 2nd oil change is done take the gloves off and put a load on the back bumper and head for the hills , a good hard pull towing heavy in the hills will help seat the rings . driving a turbo diesel easy doenst do them any good , they will use oil and will never loosen up . Just make sure you do all your oils ASAP , dont wait for 50000 miles on the rearend and tcase it will scare you what comes out on the first oil change!

More Power
03-02-2007, 20:22
Stopped in to talk to the folks at the local GMC dealership yesterday. They're expecting their first LMM in a couple of weeks (a CC short 2500HD with dark gray paint and tan leather interior). I'll be there to take a few photos when it arrives.... :)

I also spoke with a salesman who said he did an independent phone survey of the area fuel stations a couple of weeks ago, asking about ULSD availablility. He reported all of the local stations he talked to had it - no matter how the pumps were marked. In fact, we started getting ULSD here in June 2006.

ULSD is thinner, more clear and produces less foam than the older fuel.

Jim

Yukon6.2
03-03-2007, 11:49
Hi
We started getting ULSD in june.The federal govt came by end of Jan.and got 4 liters of diesel for testing.
I called last week for results,and our storage tank passed the ULSD requirerments.We are by no means a high voulum station,so we order smaller quantities of fuel so it is always fresh.We did fill the tank once with ULSD to clean the residue from the walls of the tank,since the inital fill we havn't gone over 1/2 tank,first in the fall we try to keep the tank low so we can get the winter fuel in with out any summer fuel in it,up here you can't fool around with the diesel,it will bite you.We had 40 below zero for two weeks in November,and the temp is a curly one above 40 below as i type this,or -40C for the Canuk's who read this.