PDA

View Full Version : Fuel in engine oil 2002 lb7 motor

mark45678
02-25-2007, 22:02
My buddy's truck has poss 1~2 gallons of fuel in the engine oil and was driven about 20~30 miles before it was noticed , How much engine damage do you think was done? When I looked at the dip stick with him the fluid was clear with ZERO tint of dark oil in it . the under side of the truck is all oil/fuel dripings from the road tube. The truck is heading to the dealer on tues AM after it gets towed back from NH to Mass . Do you think the motor is saveable or does this ruin the bottom end , he has 4 days left on the 5 year /100,000 mile warrenty at this time ! the truck at this time has 92K on it and it has never had any injector work done to it. Sure sounds to me like a injector failed or a leak on a return line. Anyone care to comment ?

TX

DieselMonk
02-26-2007, 05:36
Get the injectors replaced under warranty. I wouldn't be that worried on the engine itself. The thing to be worried about is more the turbo. It needs propper lube in order to spin 120.000rpms and not wear prematurely. I hope he didn't have a heavy foot driving. First things first and get the injectors changed under warranty and put real engine oil in the crank case ;)
Diesel engines are built tough. If you want to see if the engine itself took any remarkable damage, ask the dealer while he's at it to do a compression and boost test. That should tell you a lot.

More Power
02-26-2007, 15:15
Whether or not there's damage depends on many factors, like what the actual dilution ratio was, and how long or how hard the engine was driven.

I'd make a point when visiting the dealership to have the service writer document the full extent of what happened. If the engine did suffer damage, it (i.e. bearings & turbo) could be covered for a reasonable length of time after the engine warranty expires.

If there's an identifiable drop in oil pressure or if you experience new or disturbing engine sounds once you get the truck back, then I'd be a little more concerned.

Jim

mark45678
02-26-2007, 20:34
He drained the pan to see how much was in it..... 4 1/2 gallons of oil/fuel . its at the dealer now keep you posted on what they do.