PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Newbie

bladerogers33
02-28-2007, 08:04
Hello everyone, This site is great. Last week i bought my first diesel, 97 silverado 6.5td. I have been spending a few hours on the site trying to learn a few things about the engine. There appears to be quite a bit. I was wondering if i could get a few tips for things i should do right away, also alot of things are going over my head as far as abbreviations, (edm, dtc, vssb, dsg, ses pmd,etc.) does anybody know of a link here that would tell me what all the lingo is? thanks in advance.

ronniejoe
02-28-2007, 08:49
This link may help: http://thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=20598

baker2acre
02-28-2007, 12:47
Welcome bladerogers33...

Congrats on the new family member!! (The truck!!)

First thing to do is fill in your signature in your user control panel or CP. This will help us to identify things about your truck (and or you) without excessive asking. The studying that you've already accomplished here in these pages will help you to identify the individuals of your truck... gearing, drivetrain, mods, bodystyle, weight class, mileage, etc....

Next thing would be to familiarize yourself with the general "health" of your truck. This involves a little time in and under looking over the differing components that make up your truck such as cooling system, exhaust, transmission and trans. cooling lines, brakes and drive line, engine and oil lines, engine electrical system, engine to body electrical system... etc.

The reason I say to do this first is simple. One of the main setbacks in owning a 6.5td is the lack-luster cooling system. One of our members/sponsors sells cooling upgrades to overcome this said setback. However, lets say you have a plugged radiator or a leaky radiator. How beneficial is that shiney new upgrade. Or, you slap on a BIG diameter downpipe from the turbo, but your Cat. converter (does not make a dog out of a cat, sorry) is plugged. Improvements are only as good as their base.

The next steps depend mainly on your trucks intended use. A daily driver that's never "loaded" will do just fine with the minor insurances such as a remote mounted PMD (pump mounted driver) which then becomes an FSD (fuel solenoid driver) or it may suit your needs just fine stock! The heavy hauler will require the above + cooling upgrades+ gadges+trans.cooler+oil cooler upgrades+inter(after)cooler+ECU upgrade+air filter upgrade+ the list could go on for days!!! :rolleyes:

Again, welcome!! Fill in that signature and give a little feed back on your game plan for your truck. Hope you enjoy your stay!!;)