PDA

View Full Version : 2002 6.5 non-turbo to 1995 6.5 turbo suburban

GSE2SCHMIDT
02-28-2007, 19:07
I recently ran across a 2002 zero mile engine that came out of a truck chassis and is a non-turbo 6.5.

I understand that the compression level is slightly higher, but if I swap out all of the manifolds and bolt the turbo onto the non-turbo will it work? I have read articles that state that the higher compression engine will get trashed with the turbo, but how many Gale Banks kits are out there on non-turbo engines and running fine.

Not sure which injection pump it has on it but it comes with a full harness and engine control module, although I understand that mine is a OBDI harness and it is most likely an OBDII

My biggest fear is that if I strip the engine down to a long block and I am still able to use its injection pump that something on the engine changed in production that is not reverse compadible....like more or less pulses on the engine sensors or such.

Anybody out there knowledgeable on these post 2000 6.5's? Can't seem to find anything on the net.

Thanks

gmctd
02-28-2007, 22:31
Compare the main engine harness connectors to yours - if the pins are in the same positions, plug them in to your truck and go.

If not, use your engine harness.

Compression is same, so bolt your turbo exhaust manifolds on, bolt everything else up, bleed the system, and crank it up.

You'll get many improvements over your engine, including the Inj Pump - all is compatible with your system.

GSE2SCHMIDT
02-28-2007, 23:03
I was told that the compression may be higher, and tolerances closer......but I like your comment better.

My 95 accessories look to be in different slots, If I swap all the mounting brackets and accessories (like A/C and the Alternator) things should be OK, correct.....meaning reverse compatible?

john8662
02-28-2007, 23:49
I don't see any major problems with this transition.

But... Strip it down.

Remove the intake, exhaust manifolds, all wiring harnesses (including the pigtail to the injection pump) and finally the cooling crossover (if single stat).

Leave the Injection pump and the lines still attached. The IP is likely the latest and greatest for "production" 6.5, 5521.

The location of the oil pressure sender will be different. Not to fear though, just plug the hole in the valley and install your OPS and adapter at the rear of the block as normal.

The other problem will be the size of the oil cooler line connections on the block. Your '95 will have 3/8 line connection, the new block will be 1/2". You can purchase a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer at many hardware stores, which will only make the lines stick out a little further from the block, but you can use your stock lines.

This is what I will do with my '97 506 block going into a 6.2 application (also 3/8 cooler lines).

J