PDA

View Full Version : DIY Pre/Post Fuel Filter and Lift Pump?

FBJR
03-01-2007, 12:32
Anyone have info on an adaptor for a fuel filter I can add on? I am sure someone has done this themselves vs the pricey kits out there.

Same for a lift pump. I think it would be a good idea and easy to wire up.

If there is a thread on these please a link would be great!!

This is for an 06 LBZ

THX

FBJR
03-01-2007, 13:33
I saw what Bill did here; http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=25928

But I am thinking more of a filter up top by the Alt and a lift pump below.

More Power
03-01-2007, 14:30
A variety of the filter manufacturers offer universal type heads and bracketry. Racor, Caterpillar and I'm sure others offer this. You could visit their respective web sites.

Lift pumps.... You can buy replacement lift pumps for the 6.5 diesel at NAPA that should work fine. It delivers about 5-8 psi. However, I would power it via an auxiliary oil pressure switch and a push button. Safety is the primary reason for powering a lift pump via an oil pressure switch. In the event of an accident, fuel won't potentially pour onto an already bad situation. The push-button is handy to help prime the fuel system. :)

Jim

FBJR
03-01-2007, 17:41
I understand the pressure switch. No brainer there.

So basically any decent in line pump/switch/relay would do the job for the lift. As well as a good spin on filter up top.

I take it a small pre-pump mesh filter is good idea for the pump?

FB

Kennedy
03-02-2007, 12:28
While not exactly inexpensive, I have a pump/filter combo kit that has everything needed and WILL work. In the big picture it's a small price to pay for clean fuel and protection for your injectors...

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/images/pumpfilter_dmax.gif

On Alt bracket your filter will be exposed to heat and vibration and add a lot of plumbing across the engine. We don't need any more heat in the fuel and the vibration lessens the effectiveness of the filter.

WILLYD-MAX
03-02-2007, 13:01
I can vouch for Kennedy's filter kits. I have installed a total of 5 of his kits. 1 on 02 lb7, 2 on 05 lly's, 2 on lbz's Also I have one of his lift pumps on my 05. High quality and good service. You get what you pay for.

jbplock
03-03-2007, 07:53
FB,

If I was adding a lift pump today I would go with John's new pumps ... FWIW, here's the original thread on the DIY setup with the 6.5TD style AC pump.... Lift Pump with Pre-Filter (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=8791)

:)

FBJR
03-06-2007, 12:14
Kennedy's setup is nice, but the price is :eek:. I like th DIY approach since I have no fuel issue now, just want a little more insurance.

Thanks for the links guys, lots of good info. Is the bypass needed really?

I am thinking of the pump (w/ops) filter and bleeder is all really needed for a basic lift/filter system.

FB

Kennedy
03-06-2007, 12:54
Could sell you wheels and tires :eek:

Seriously, I think there is much more benefit to preventative products like filtration than power chips and things that people won't even think twice about $$$ buying.

FBJR
03-06-2007, 15:16
John, I can't fault the benefits or the price for what it is. Just alot more than I figured balanced with my needs.

jbplock
03-06-2007, 16:56
... Is the bypass needed really? ...

When folks here in the forum were first experimenting with lift pumps there was concern about over pressurizing the OE low pressure pump so some of us opted for the bypass regulator to control pressure. I adjust mine for 0-1 PSI at the Schrader valve test port.. Since that time many folks have been running lift pumps at nominal pressures with out problems.

FBJR
03-14-2007, 14:00
Thanks, I will just run straight then. I can't see 5 psi hurting anything. Heck thats no more pressure than a full tank going down hill :D