PDA

View Full Version : bell housing

derekja
03-01-2007, 16:39
hi,

I'm fighting with bell housing bolts. In the "6.5L turbo diesel performance and maintenance" book available here there is a good picture of the bell housing on page 90. The picture shows 2 housing bolts about halfway down from the peak of the bell housing. In the truck I can't even see these bolts, but I have to find some way to remove them.

Any suggestions? I think these two bolts are about all that is standing between me and removing the engine. (well, and fuel and oil cooler lines, but I bet I get those off before anyone here replies to this post...)

*frusterated*

Thanks.

HH
03-01-2007, 19:04
You could use a long extension with a wobble end. You could also try to drop the trans-cross member to get the engine to tilt back slightly, but remember that when those bolts come out, your trans might slide off. You could also get at them with a box end wrench from on top, but it is alot of short turns. Sometimes there is another nut on there holding a bracket for the fuel lines or wiring, make sure those are off first. Good luck.

a5150nut
03-01-2007, 19:49
HH has got it. Drop drivelines, split the transfer case off the trans, move crossmember and lower the trans. Use a jack to support the trans, put the 4 lower bolts back in the bellhousing and remove the upper ones first. Then drop the trans and tourque converter. Now remove the engine.

When you re install the engine be sure to seat the tourque converter on the trans before replacing the trans. Bolt up the bell housing then install bolts in the tourque converter.

derekja
03-01-2007, 19:51
just to clarify...

1) when you suggest using a long extension with a wobble end you are sugesting coming in from like where the fuel filter was and shooting blind?

2) in dropping the trans cross member, should the engine mount bolts remain in place? If they are out already is there a chance of the engine sliding back when the bolts come out?

3) box end wrench from on top. Again, you mean from the engine compartment reach down in the center with a wrench? There just doesn't seem to be space...

Thanks...

kevin77
03-01-2007, 20:05
I had my skinny brother-in-law pull those bolts out of my bell housing....

Kevin

HH
03-01-2007, 20:41
See below suggestions

just to clarify...
1) when you suggest using a long extension with a wobble end you are sugesting coming in from like where the fuel filter was and shooting blind?
From below, behind the engine, over the top of the transmission. You may have to bend any small bracket up to get the wrench or socket on. The fuel line and wire harness brackets are attached to those bolts/studs(??).

2) in dropping the trans cross member, should the engine mount bolts remain in place? If they are out already is there a chance of the engine sliding back when the bolts come out?
Depends which bolts you have out? One on each side through each motor mount, or the 3 in the block? If it is the one long bolt through the motor mount then you should be OK. It will probably rest against the firewall or the fuel lines.

3) box end wrench from on top. Again, you mean from the engine compartment reach down in the center with a wrench? There just doesn't seem to be space...
Yes from the top, It is tight.....lots of little cuts on my hands from doing those.

a5150nut
03-01-2007, 21:33
I left the bolts in the motor mounts when changing trans/clutch. Don't want that little motor on your chest while your under the truck.