PDA

View Full Version : Guys still going in for injectors?

truck31
03-01-2007, 19:12
I have the 3500 deramax 2001. It is running lousy but something you might expect with 76000 miles on it. The oil has aways been changed on time and it is in mint condition. The diesel page 6 years ago will make you care very much for your truck. I don't want to upgrade to a newer one. It will go in for test Monday to see if it needs new injectors. I was wondering if the test the dealer does is cost free or I have to pay? I always exspect the shaft.
Broke down last week and could not start the truck.
I thought I had water in the fuel so I put in 3 pints of dry gas before the private mechanic pumped the filter to disipate the problem and she started once again. I had a full 3o gallons in the tank before I put the dry gas in .I want to know if this could cause it to start so rough the next day. She was really missing.
I want thoes new plugs. I told the service man if he puts in the new plugs I will put a fisher v plow on the front of it. They sell them garranteed , no problem on the long bed 3500 ext. cab. Sorry about all the noise but would like to know what is going on and some input on the subject. Thanks Art

griff901c
03-01-2007, 23:20
Just got 4 replaced on a 03 2500. I thought it was free but I had to pay the $100.00 deductible. That's still better than the full amount.

Did everyone else pay the deductible? The GM Bulletin says " no cost warranty extension" . I called GM cust. service and was told yes-I pay the $100.00. Not blowing smoke now!

griff

truck31
03-02-2007, 14:19
I am really surprised that they did not replace all 8 injectors. According to the bulletin all 8 are to be done. I think the dealer does what he wants. It just doesn't make sense to change just four. What if another goes a month or two down the road?

truck31
03-03-2007, 17:40
Truck went into service today. Man will give it the test Monday to see if it needs injectors. The thing died again and I had to pump the fuel filter to get it going. The truck looses it prime some how. I am having him put a new filter and check things for leaks. I wonder how many other 2001 owners are in my boat. Getting close to warrantee running out and I want to put a new v plow on the truck. I hate to put the money out only to have the truck fall apart after the warrantee expires. Just my luck.

crafty
03-06-2007, 09:06
I'm 8 months from my injector warranty running out too. I've only had two injectors replaced to date (75,000 mile on it) and I intend to watch things very closely the rest of this year. When they did the last injector in July of last year I tried to get all 8 done but was told that they had to have the numbers from the tech tool to back up the replacement before they would do it.
I kind of hope that they do fail so I don't have to pay for it later but so far all seems well.:D :D :D

truck31
03-06-2007, 11:07
Crafty, What were your symtoms to warrant a couple of injectors and did you notice a big difference when you got the truck back? I asked the dealer if he has to put in the injectors if he replaces all eight and he said yes. I guess it depends on the dealer on what is done and what is not. It would be nice if Chevy made it manditory.

DmaxMaverick
03-06-2007, 13:57
Crafty, What were your symtoms to warrant a couple of injectors and did you notice a big difference when you got the truck back? I asked the dealer if he has to put in the injectors if he replaces all eight and he said yes. I guess it depends on the dealer on what is done and what is not. It would be nice if Chevy made it manditory.

The campaign is "mandatory". There is NO allowance for replacing less than all 8 injectors, if the TSB applies. If they are replacing less than 8, they are either violating GM's policy IAW the bulletin, or they are not applying that bulletin.

Also, it is not required to have specific indications from the PCM to apply the TSB campaign. If the tech completes the entire diag. process, it only has to meet one condition. Several conditions do not rely on the Tech II indications. At the same time, it took several years before GM acknowledged the 6.5L PMD could fail, and still show no DTC's. Some dealers still insist specific DTC's must be present before they will warranty a 6.5L pump/PMD, despite the bulletin specifically stating otherwise. The dealer policy(ies) and practices regarding Duramax injectors are probably not far from this. Doesn't make it right, but they hold all the marbles.

truck31
03-06-2007, 17:41
I heard from the dealer. The tech. said I do not need injectors that mine are fine. The real trouble is that he smells gasoline in the diesel fuel. I remember topping off the truck when I had about 3/4 tank. I can't imagine that I could do such a thing but you never know. To me it's mind bogolling. I put in 3 bottles of dry gas with a full tank of fuel and thought perhaps he was smelling it. I said how could I drive an hour to him if I had that much gas in the tank. He said that it would burn hot and said that down the road if the truck did call for injectors that that may be the cause and Chevy would not cover the cost. This mistake or bad fuel from the pump is going to cost me over a grand. I figured I better do it.The tech told me he has to drop the tank, drain the fuel , flush the lines to get the truck back in order. I started having problems the next day thinking I had water in the fuel. I told him to go ahead and do the work but I made him garrantee that down the road if the injectors need replacement that they would be covered. He said that they would. I have about a year and two months left on the warrantee. I got the fuel at a Red Barrel gas station. Anybody else want to add to my misery. I get it back and all seems OK I am going to put a nice stainless steel Fisher V plow on it to make me feel better.

crafty
03-07-2007, 13:45
The symtom that lead to me having the balance rate chaecked was an uneven idle. In both cases when that showed up the balance rate was off on one cylinder. It was over the plus or minus 4 criteria that they use to determine if the injector is fuctioning properly.
The service manager said that the readings had to be off on every cylinder before they would do all the injectors. Does anyone have a suggestion who I should call to see if he is correct in his interpretation? When December rolls around I plan to get the rates checked again whether I have symtoms or not and I will try real hard to have the rest done on their dime if at all possible.:D :D :D

nbloecher@yahoo.com
03-08-2007, 10:05
mine is in right now getting all 8 done at 96k miles..good news....bad news they say it could take two weeks to get injectors-their on back order.first the service manager said 2-3 days after 2 days called back and thats when they said up to 2 weeks.i stewed for a day or two then i called the parts manager and told him how ridiculous this is.he said hed get on the ball and check different dealers to see if they have any in stock,he guaranteed no longer than 5 more days.its been almost two and a half weeks since i originally took it in.they said the cause was erosion-never threw any codes for injectors.i have been driving a 98 ford explorer since then,thanks to someone in the family having an extra car,but this really sucks,things way too small.good luck w/your problem.

truck31
03-09-2007, 17:37
I got my truck back today. The fella that did the work let me smell the 25 gallons of diesel fuel he drained from the truck and you could smell the gasoline that somehow got into it. The truck really sounds good and is still full of piss and vinigar. They are in the process of putting an 81/2 stainless steel V plow on it. If it squatts in the front when they raise it they have a guy who is going to put heavier springs in the front. It just so happens the plow man is beside the chevy dealer and the spring man is beside the plow man. Very convenient. Atleast I am covered for the remainder of my warrantee so I was told. This service tech was telling me he has put in hundreds of injectors and he's always put in 8, so go figure. Good luck with all your wanting and getting the new injectors and the right dealer to install them for you. Who knows , maybe when our trucks warrantee are almost done and we are still having problems ,Chevy may extend them. I am a good dreamer. What ever you do , don't do what I probably did with my head you know where, Get the right fuel pump.

Duramaster
03-14-2007, 22:13
So here's the deal.................

04039A is a special policy adjustment............See below

Subject: Special Policy Adjustment - Injectors - Replace #04039A - (10/10/2006)

Models: 2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2001-2003 GMC Sierra

2003 Chevrolet Kodiak

2003 GMC TopKick

Equipped with 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 - VIN Code 1) Engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED TO ADD 2003 MODEL YEAR TRUCKS. PLEASE DISCARD SPECIAL POLICY BULLETIN NUMBER 04039, DATED MAY, 2004.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers of 2001-03 model year Chevrolet Silverado; GMC Sierra; 2003 Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick vehicles, equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 - VIN Code 1) engine, may experience vehicle service engine soon (SES) light illumination, low engine power, hard start, and/or fuel in crankcase, requiring injector replacement, as a result of high fuel return rates due to fuel injector body cracks, ball seat erosion, or high pressure seal extrusion (refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-007 and SI).

Special Policy Adjustment
This special policy covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 200,000 miles (320,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Important: This special policy only covers the above noted failure modes, which are identified by high fuel return flow.

Read the second from the last paragraph!:cool:

OK..........

Part two..........

Subject: Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On, DTCs P0087, P0093, P1093, Low Power, No Start, Hard Start, Fuel in Crankcase (Replace All Injectors - New Strategy for High Fuel Return Rates) #04-06-04-007G - (10/16/2006)

Models: 2001-2004 Chevrolet Silverado

2003-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series

2001-2004 GMC Sierra

2003-2004 GMC Topkick C4500/C5500 Series

with 6.6L Duramax™ Diesel Engine (VIN 1 -- RPO LB7)

This bulletin is being revised to include additional service information and revised warranty information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-007F (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition
Some customers may comment on the Service Engine Soon light becoming illuminated. Upon investigation, the technician will find DTCs P0087, P0093 or P1093. Additional customer comments may include a lack of power, a fuel smell on the oil indicator (dipstick), fuel in the engine oil, fuel coming out of the crankcase breather, the engine cranks but does not run, or a hard start condition. This condition will not cause an engine misfire. Do not apply this bulletin to any diagnostic other than what is identified in the chart below.

Cause
The fuel injectors have internal conditions that may cause them to return an excessive quantity of fuel to the tank, as well as leak fuel into the crankcase. Due to the return flow and/or leakage, the fuel injection pump may not be able to build up adequate fuel rail pressure.
:cool:

So now, At my dealership if the vehicle is still within "ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT" warranty (5 yr/ 100,000 miles) then we use 04 - 06 - 04 - 007G. If the vehicle is out of original equipment warranty > 5 yr/ 100,000miles but within the 7 year 200,000 mile range we then apply the 04039A. Hope this helps!:cool:

NutNbutGMC
03-20-2007, 21:11
I got my third set placed in at 67K miles. They held my truck hostage for 3 weeks. Sitting on 95K now with diesel leaking again onto my tail gate (from underneath), but no sign of injector failure just yet. It will fail soon. After three witnessings of that, I can see it coming again...

I don't care. Duramax, GM, and the stockholders have seen my last greenback.

I'm taking it in next week for a check.

I have pics but the limit for size here wouldn't clearly show the results. It really doesn't allow one to even see much at 39K... LOL... Anyhoooo.....

truck31
03-21-2007, 12:11
I feel for ya man ! GM should give you a new engine with all the agravation they put you through. I don't know if I could stay with Chevy after that. I guess I am lucky after 76000 miles ( knock on wood ) I haven't had any real problems. She still hauls ass but who knows how long.

Duramaster
03-24-2007, 19:16
I just replaced a set this last week on a vehicle that had 184,000 miles on it. They were the original set of injectors too!:D

Duramaster
03-31-2007, 00:14
I replaced another set today, original set at only 76k miles on it. And I started replacing another set because of fuel in the oil:D

SDWA
04-05-2007, 18:31
Durmaster... where do you work? I'm pretty sure I'm ready for a second set of injectors (sounds and runs exactly like it did before the original 8 were replaced) and I'd like to take it somewhere that won't do what they can to get out of doing the work...

Scott

Horse_gal_jen
04-10-2007, 09:15
We just had all 8 injectors replaced in December on our 01.

They checked the codes and the No2 was failing, so they replaced all 8 and i didn't pay a cent.

Duramaster
04-10-2007, 23:25
Sorry it's been a day or two since I checked the forum SDWA. I work at a little GMC Dealership in Portland known as DSU Peterbilt & GMC:cool: I've been working on the DMAX since it came out in 2001. I have been with the dealership for over twelve years and the dealership has been around for over 60 years.

MaxACL
04-12-2007, 14:06
Duramaster,

My '02 (according to a laocal NAPA diesel mech.) has #2 and #7 injectors going south. The idle is rough (while showing 0.0 millaseconds (?) on the meter). On a hunch, I called the GM customer service center since my beast has 207,500 miles on it and they want me to go to a GMC dealer to have the test done then they might cover some of it with the "Goodwill" concept.

This is my 4th or 5th set of injectors. Do we see a trend here?

There is also a slight but noticeable knock when under a load. NAPA says it could be carbon build up on top of a piston and will lead to head failure or bent rod. Will it hurt to continue to drive the truck till GMC can get me in (4 more days)?

Ooops... A little history, I was unable to get into a dealer prior to the 200,000 mile marker but at 201,000 I did get an appointment complaining about the rough idle (SES light on). The dealer did their thing (for $100) and said the EGR something was at fault and the Glowplug relay was broke. The relay had been replaced not long ago and the EGR will be fixed soon (by NAPA). I'm thinking they are replacing parts till the SES light goes away. The bad injectors were not looked at. Not till later when the idle got worse did NAPA identify the injectors. These injectors were replaced at 132,000 miles just about two years ago (carry the 1... that's 73,000 miles on these injectors). The sparkplugs in my wifes blazer gets 100,000 miles.

Your thoughts.

PS Perhaps I will repost this under a new seperate thread... Forgive the duplication.

Mike

Duramaster
04-13-2007, 00:05
The knock sounds to me like you have a couple of leaky injectors. Here is another idea, I like to add STANADYNE fuel additive to the fuel tank when I encounter a vehicle that has a apparent fuel contamination issue.

http://www.dieselpage.com/add1.htm

I had a truck today that I just replaced the injection pump. When I got it together it had a slight knock and an extreme lack of power. I added the "MECHANIC IN A BOTTLE" to the fuel system and let it run for a little. When I rechecked the truck all issues were gone! I have also used the Stanadyne on vehicles that had water in the fuel. I of course flushed the entire fuel system and then added Stanadyne to the fresh fuel. ;)

MaxACL
04-16-2007, 08:46
Well, it's at the GMC dealer as we speek. I'll find out soon. I do use Stanadyne religiously. In fact I have a 5 gallon jug at the farm and refill the half gallon bottles when I stop over. good stuff.

Mike

acneil
04-06-2009, 20:39
I just got the dreaded P0093 Code myself. No fuel in the oil, just get the code on the freeway and limp mode.

I would love to have Duramaster work on it. I cant find a dealer, let alone a mechanic in Seattle that knows this code, or even my engine. Im gonna PM you Duramaster!!

Art
Seattle, WA
2001 DMAX 3500 191000miles

Edit... I guess I cant PM Duramaster. If you see this please email me, I dont know where to get my truck diag'd.

DmaxMaverick
04-06-2009, 20:55
I just got the dreaded P0093 Code myself. No fuel in the oil, just get the code on the freeway and limp mode.

I would love to have Duramaster work on it. I cant find a dealer, let alone a mechanic in Seattle that knows this code, or even my engine. Im gonna PM you Duramaster!!

Art
Seattle, WA
2001 DMAX 3500 191000miles

Edit... I guess I cant PM Duramaster. If you see this please email me, I dont know where to get my truck diag'd.

Welcome aboard!

The P0093 can be associated with injector failure, but most often no more than a need for a fuel filter change. Several other symptoms need to be present before pointing at the injector(s). A failed/failing FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) pump going south, or fuel system leak/restriction can cause the same code. If the injectors in your 2001 are original, the possibility certainly exists, but I know of many more 2001's running fine with original injectors than not (mine isn't one of them).

If you do have a need for injector replacement, good luck. There are dealers out there willing to go to bat for you, if it isn't obvious you've abused the engine, and are close on the miles (200K). Often, they'll meet you half way (or thereabouts) with the cost.

DickWells
04-07-2009, 19:27
Aneil: If you can get in touch with Sterling in Longview, it might be to your advantage. They did a great job for me in Summer, 07. Changed all my injectors and cups, plus looked at all other pertinent issues while in there. All without a word about my Edge Juice being in there. And, all for not one penny.
Good luck.
Dick Wells:)

acneil
04-09-2009, 23:47
Thanks for all the advice. Had it diag'd at Parkland Chevy. Bad pump...