PDA

View Full Version : Strange Starting/Stalling Problem

surfdwn
10-13-2003, 15:21
I am having a problem with a '94 6.5 turobiesel that I recently acquired.

The truck starts up great when cold and starts fine when "warm". The problem is when the truck is left to sit for 20 minutes or more. Then, it will start, idle fine for 5 to 10 seconds, and then die. Repeated attempts eventually get it to stay running, usially taking 20 minutes or more. This same phenomenon hold true for the next couple of hours, depending on how cold the outside temperature is. Eventually, when the engine is "cool", it will start and continue to run.

The previous owner stated that he just put in a new injector pump, and it looks very new. The truck also has a new exhaust system, as the old downpipe was severely restricted and the cat was plugged.

Is there a temperature sensor somewhere that can give the injection system or glow plugs the wrong signal? This is the third 6.5 that I have had, but the first with any issues.

Any suggestions?

tom.mcinerney
10-14-2003, 18:56
A lot of commentary related problems, most erased.
Try 'search' feature above, beneath "Post A Reply". Search "stalling", read 8/21/'03 topic '6.5 start, stalling', browse others. Also search 'start, stalling'....Also, see link cited by 'UCDavis in his post(8:30 PM,10/14/'03) to the topic, "limp mode??/causes??", initiated by MikeC. Afterward , maybe post again in 'members' forum if no more replys.

[ 10-14-2003, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: tom mac 95 ]