PDA

View Full Version : Died in Colorado this morning

Rockhead
03-02-2007, 21:50
2004 LLY, 34,000 miles, stock

Started up after plugged in for 2 hours, 1 degree F out. Ran 30 minutes, about 20 miles.

Going uphill, 20 mph and she idled down and stopped. Battery light came on and engine died. Restarted easily, ran 10 seconds, battery light came on and died. Restarted 2 more times same result. Parked and called dealer. Hauled to dealer, now 20 degrees F. Starts right up. Dealer says no sign of gelling, water or contamination. Dealer still checking codes.

Fuel and tranny filter changed at 25,000. No other lights or warnings. Hesitated once when accelerating about 5 minutes before. Been driving it all winter at much colder temps.

Thanks for any ideas.

40grit
03-02-2007, 23:08
what was the voltage meter showing? Could be a battery or charging system problem

Rockhead
03-04-2007, 09:39
gauges were normal, power all good in cab and restarts cranked right over.

mark45678
03-06-2007, 17:01
sure sounds like a fuel waxing problem..... Fuel doesnt have to "jell up" to stop you in your tracks ! When fuel gets cloudy it still flows but it clogs the fuel filter slowly , after it sits with warm under hood temps it runs fine as the day warms up. If your still running that tank of fuel hit it with a good dose of additive. The fuel heater will not get the fuel warm enough on cold days to flow threw a filter . Fuel starts to cloud up around 20*f if its untreated .

Rockhead
03-09-2007, 15:35
The dealer sent the truck back with a "possible gelled fuel" note and nothing else. I don't run additive but I have been putting a 40/60 blend of #1 and #2 in
every 3rd tank or so. I ran the truck at -15 several mornings this year... I must have lucked out and had the 40/60 in those times. I definitely only had #2 in the tank when the problem occured. We are having an uncommon winter this year. I guess I should have taken uncommon measures. Thanks again.