PDA

View Full Version : Fuel question

rhymas
03-03-2007, 22:41
I have a new 2007 "Classic" HD2500 (Duramax of course). The engine has a sticker on it that says it is a 2006 engine (LBZ I believe). I know you are supposed to use the new "ultra low sulpher fuel", and I plan on doing so. However, there are several stations around here that still have the "low sulpher" fuel, and a lot of the stations don't have stickers on the pumps and the cashiers don't know what kind of diesel they are selling.

My question is: If I ended up getting some of older type fuel, would it harm my engine?

More Power
03-04-2007, 00:57
Only those Duramax diesels produced since January 1st and equipped with the new DPF (diesel particulate filters) must use ULSD. Duramax diesels with a 2006 calendar year build date can use either LSD or ULSD. Those diesels produced in the 2006 calendar year don't have the DPF.

However, ULSD began shipping to retail outlets as early as June 2006. By October 2006, diesel fuel stations across the country were reported to be at 85% ULSD compliance. You might still be able to find LSD at some farm or construction fuel suppliers, but all stations that supply fuel to the highway market should be in compliance with federal regs.

Those getting the 2007 LMM should buy from the higher volume fuel dealers for the near term, just to be sure.

Jim

RealFLNative
03-13-2007, 14:09
I'd like to know if it will harm the engine as well. I've had to put Low Sulphur fuel in mine on 5 different occasions because I've been caught on long trips and it was either fill up at that exit or call a tow truck to take me to an exit that had ultra low sulphur fuel. It really sucks planning trips around gas stations.

DmaxMaverick
03-13-2007, 15:34
I'd like to know if it will harm the engine as well. I've had to put Low Sulphur fuel in mine on 5 different occasions because I've been caught on long trips and it was either fill up at that exit or call a tow truck to take me to an exit that had ultra low sulphur fuel. It really sucks planning trips around gas stations.

Welcome to the Forums!

Unless you were traveling through Mexico, you should have nothing to worry about.

All on-highway fuel stations in the US and Canada should not be pumping anything but ULSD for on-highway use. I don't know the policy in Canada, but any station (and refinery supplying the fuel) in the US doing otherwise faces serious penalties and immediate closure. The grace period for using up their LSD has long expired, and compliance is not voluntary. That is not to say that many stations still have old/outdated stickers on the pumps, and ignorance on the part of the station owner/operators.

At the same time, GM's initial press release in regards to the 2007 emmissions standards stated that infrequent use of LSD would cause no damage to the engine or exaust system, but may shorten the period between the cleaning cycles. If you were to experience any damage, liability would fall on the fuel supplier, the same as if they supplied the wrong or contaminated fuel.

RealFLNative
03-14-2007, 06:43
Welcome to the Forums!

Unless you were traveling through Mexico, you should have nothing to worry about.

All on-highway fuel stations in the US and Canada should not be pumping anything but ULSD for on-highway use. I don't know the policy in Canada, but any station (and refinery supplying the fuel) in the US doing otherwise faces serious penalties and immediate closure. The grace period for using up their LSD has long expired, and compliance is not voluntary. That is not to say that many stations still have old/outdated stickers on the pumps, and ignorance on the part of the station owner/operators.

At the same time, GM's initial press release in regards to the 2007 emmissions standards stated that infrequent use of LSD would cause no damage to the engine or exaust system, but may shorten the period between the cleaning cycles. If you were to experience any damage, liability would fall on the fuel supplier, the same as if they supplied the wrong or contaminated fuel.
Thanks. There is no doubt that these pumps had low sulphur, 500ppm stickers on them. They were off of remote exits along I-10, west of I-75 in FL, and then one was out in the Ocala National Forest. They were all pretty much the only fuel option for miles.

I'll still plan to avoid those exits on future trips. If they have the wrong stickers on their pumps, there's no telling what they have in their tanks.

More Power
03-14-2007, 15:10
Neither the LBZ or LMM would be harmed in the slightest when running LSD (500ppm sulfur). It's the new diesel exhaust catalyst and diesel particulate filters used with the new LMM that'll suffer with more sulfur. If you have an LBZ, it doesn't matter whether you use LSD or ULSD.

ULSD was being shipped beginning last June. By October, no LSD (500ppm sulfur) was being shipped for on-road use. However, fuel stations with low turnover may have had some of the old stuff in their tanks when when they began getting the new stuff.... They might be holding off putting the new ULSD stickers on their pumps till they're sure the old stuff has been sufficiently diluted. Big fine if their pumps are marked ULSD and they don't test ULSD.

Jim

rhymas
03-16-2007, 21:40
I found this information on Fuelfacts.org

"By June 1, 2006, at least 80 percent of the highway diesel produced or imported will be ULSD fuel, replacing most Low Sulfur Diesel (LSD) fuel, which contains a maximum of 500 ppm sulfur. Used in combination with cleaner-burning diesel engines and vehicles, ULSD fuel will help to improve air quality by significantly reducing emissions. By December 1, 2010, all highway diesel fuel offered for sale must be ULSD fuel. Between 2006 and 2010, both ULSD fuel and Low Sulfur Diesel fuel will be available. Some retail outlets will sell ULSD fuel, others Low Sulfur Diesel fuel, and some will sell both."

The EPA site also had some information that seemed to suggest a phase-in through 2009, but like most government regulations it was somewhat difficult to decode.

It looks like the low sulfur (500 ppm) stuff will be around for a couple more years.