PDA

View Full Version : Done!!

billschall
03-04-2007, 17:48
TDP subscription: $19.95

Parts & necessary accouterments: >$4,000

Turning that key after ten long weeks of cleaning, painting, replacing, fitting & torquing then finally hearing that 6.5TD purr like a Lion:
PRICELESS!!!

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=389&limit=recent
(I know Robyn, it's "black & silver") :D

My gratitude for this fantastic site and all of the great people here is immeasurable. Without all of the discussions, idea-sharing and in-depth knowledge that many of you possess, this project could not have been undertaken. Thank you.

-Bill

john8662
03-04-2007, 18:34
Rock On!

I love it when people doing engine work take the time to clean the components to make the engine a near-factory new appearance.

Very well done!

ditto on the priceless. heck of a crossing fingers though right?

derekja
03-04-2007, 19:10
wow, looks beautiful, Bill!

sailun
03-04-2007, 19:55
Way Cool !! I wanna hear the audio !!

billschall
03-04-2007, 22:56
Way Cool !! I wanna hear the audio !!

You mean this one?
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=397&size=1

Broke the two old Optimus amps before Xmas. The new JL was an Xmas gift that I finally got to hear yesterday. The speaker boxes are homemade and house a great sounding set of Optimus 6x9's. There are three-way MTX separates in the doors. Nothing too extreme, but the better half thinks I'm having midlife crisis...:rolleyes:

And although I didn't cross any fingers John, I did have an extra smoke before giving the command to my helper to "start 'er up!"

More Power
03-05-2007, 00:24
It is highly rewarding to see, hear, and drive a project after so many long hours of effort. Great Job! Nicely detailed too!

Jim

sailun
03-05-2007, 05:48
That audio is cool, but I really wanted to hear her "purr like a lion".

How about a list of work done, parts replaced, etc.

billschall
03-05-2007, 21:33
That audio is cool, but I really wanted to hear her "purr like a lion".

Seems a little louder inside the cabin, but outside it's apparently much more noticeable. My old man said he was "kinda disappointed" yesterday when I started it up and it was sitting there idling. But when I pulled away, he said it really sounded good. Mmmmm, may have to let the better half take it out the driveway to hear it for myself....:eek:

How about a list of work done, parts replaced, etc.

Grab yourself a tall cold glass of Guinness (or beverage of your choice) and prepare for a long read.

Block heater: $ 40.00
Rear Brakes: 290.00
Rust Bullet paint & other paints/coatings: 177.00
Glow plugs & controller: 130.00
reman injectors: 250.00
new injection lines: 195.00
Inj line install kit: 27.00
6' FSD extension cable: 85.00
shocks(4), case of oil, all the freakin' gaskets: 390.00
RH inner fender well: 60.00
K&N air filter: 109.00
4" exhaust: 340.00
huh...custom exhaust flaring... : 15.00
crossover: 60.00
CDR valve: 62.00
new heads: 700.00
cost to find out my old ones were junk: 125.00
return fuel line (between heads): 13.00
LH exhaust manifold: 125.00
RH exhaust manifold: freebie :)
head/block alignment dowels: 5.50
head bolt set (missed in initial purchase): 30.00
Exhaust manifold bolts, turbo boot & clamps: 125.00
AllData subscription: 25.00
water pump: 55.00
harmonic balancers (both): 115.00
something else @ the Stealer for 111.00
cab clearance light (shells only, added to truck - not replaced): 42.00
lightbulb sockets for clearance lights at junk yard: 25.00 for all five (new, they're like $35 EACH from the stealer!!)
timing cover gasket set: 23.00
crankshaft sensor: 51.00
lower rad hose: 45.00
header wrap (thanks JW!!): 39.00
new custom trans cooler lines from hyd shop: 120.00
alternator: 120.00
misc hardware (flange nuts, SS screws, paint brushes, ad nauseum): 300.00
...oh, and one used coolant crossover after bustin my old one putting it back on (Thanks again JW!!): 25.00

Total bill: $4449.50

ALL parts removed and replaced were cleaned via glass beading or wire wheel then painted with at least two coats of Rust Bullet (black items got three coats). All new parts, except for most of the exhaust, painted the same. Manifolds were treated with VHT (the curing in the oven made alot of points!) . All rusted bolts that were unsalvageable, were replaced - w/ SS when I could get 'em. All rusted bolts that were salvageable were wire wheeled & the threads then cleaned up with either taps or dies. Anti-seize on everything, except coolant cavity bolts which got thread sealant (per the TS&R guide).

Those Speedhut gages are definitely on hold for a little bit...

derekja
03-05-2007, 22:04
wow. Yup, quite a list. I think mine is gonna match it before I'm done. Ug. My economic recovery is gonna last a bit too. I had a bunch of tools to buy as well.

Questions:

1) 4" exhaust. $340 sounds more reasonable than I'd seen online. I've got a stock exhaust. It's in decent condition, but it is falling off. All the mounts need work. Rather than weld the old one back on there maybe it's time to do that upgrade. Where did yours come from?

2) glass beading to clean parts. Do you have a sandblast cabinet? I saw one at a tool sale today and it looked pretty trick but I just couldn't justify it. I'm still struggling with how to clean everything, though. Got the wire wheel and taps and dies set up, so bolts and holes aren't the problem...

3) rust bullet. All parts painted? Block and manifolds and stuff too? Did you have to carefully tape off bits you didn't want to get paint on, like inner surfaces?

Funny.. I was drinking a Guinness as I read that! I'm glad to see you have good taste in beer!

billschall
03-05-2007, 22:38
wow. Yup, quite a list. I think mine is gonna match it before I'm done. Ug. My economic recovery is gonna last a bit too. I had a bunch of tools to buy as well.

Questions:

1) 4" exhaust. $340 sounds more reasonable than I'd seen online. I've got a stock exhaust. It's in decent condition, but it is falling off. All the mounts need work. Rather than weld the old one back on there maybe it's time to do that upgrade. Where did yours come from?

WarpSpeedPerformance (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-6-5-GMC-Truck-93-00-4-DIESEL-EXHAUST-STRAIGHT-PIPE_W0QQitemZ290086579779QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33630 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem).com - they sell on eBay. But I've since discovered that Jardine (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-6-5-GMC-1994-2000-4-Diesel-Exhaust-J-Jardine_W0QQitemZ180091165669QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33 630QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) (Jardine headers) is also selling on eBay now. His systems are about the same I think, but with a lifetime warranty.

2) glass beading to clean parts. Do you have a sandblast cabinet? I saw one at a tool sale today and it looked pretty trick but I just couldn't justify it. I'm still struggling with how to clean everything, though. Got the wire wheel and taps and dies set up, so bolts and holes aren't the problem...

Buddy at work brought his HorribleFreight cabinet in. Worked OK, but I found that wire wheel on an angle grinder worked better for the bigger parts - bench grinder on smaller parts. Take the greasy stuff to the car wash (in the middle of the night ;) ) with lots of degreaser. Or invest in a small parts washer and put biodiesel in it.

3) rust bullet. All parts painted? Block and manifolds and stuff too? Did you have to carefully tape off bits you didn't want to get paint on, like inner surfaces?

Everything I took off and put back on was painted with Rust Bullet (http://www.rustbullet.com/) - with a foam brush. The only critical pcs that I painted were the heads and I only had to paint either end as they were bare. Threads were then cleaned up with taps, and the paint was filed out of bolts where it puddled. Block was left in frame, so no, it's still the rusty-lookin' pig that it was. Manifolds got VHT (http://www.vhtpaint.com/home), but you gotta cook 'em in the oven - three stage process. It only stinks for a little while.:rolleyes:

Funny.. I was drinking a Guinness as I read that! I'm glad to see you have good taste in beer!

A week-long visit to your town about ten years ago forever cured my palate of domestic, commercial beverages. Two "tours" of the Red Hook Brewery may have helped as well...

sailun
03-06-2007, 06:14
Nice !

That's gotta feel good.