PDA

View Full Version : Help....Please !!!, starts then dies, will not restart

Bowtie Fox
03-04-2007, 17:49
I thought I had one of the few bullet proof 6.5 inection pumps. I did the new PMD with heat sink mod about 3 years ago. No problems till last week.
Engine started, ran about 30 seconds, the died, that was it. I left it for a couple of days. Same thing, ran for about 30 seconds, then died, no restart.

Thinking I had another bad PMD, I ordered, but not installed a new PMD.

I'm a BMW tech, so I have access to AllData, per the Alldata troubleshooting
chart, after checking several things, I was instructed to unplugg the fuel temp. sensor. I'll be damn, the engine started, not very easily, but it did finally start and idle fine.
The Alldata chart says to replace the fuel injection pump, can this fuel sensor not be replaced without replacing the complete pump assembly ???

My truck is a 2000 model and has 106,000 miles on it.

Also I think I got a letter from GM stating that the injection pump was under warranty for 12 years or 120,000 miles ?? anyone know anything about this ??

billschall
03-04-2007, 18:21
Bowtie,

Edit your signature in the User CP (control panel) to identify your truck, including mods, so we all know what you're dealing with.

Yes, there is an 11 year, 120K mile warranty on the pumps. Check the TSB list in your AllData. It is Bulletin No.: 00064F, dated: September 2004.

Good luck!

-Bill

sailun
03-04-2007, 20:18
Read my lips:

"Go get the free new pump on warrantee !!!!!!"

Bowtie Fox
03-04-2007, 20:24
I found the SIB, Chevy dealer here I come......

Something funny, if you read the SIB, near the end, it talks about destroying
all the electrical connectors and damaging the old pump so it does not end up on Ebay for sale....

I added the Ebay comment

GMC-RKL
03-06-2007, 22:31
Hello Bowtie,

I was having starting issues with my pickup; it would not start after it had warmed up and I shut it off and tried to restart after about a half hour to 45 minutes.

After reading the book on 6.5 GMC Turbo Diesel engines purchased from this website, I asked my diesel mechanic to check the lift pump pressure. He said it was a bit weak; low but within the parameter. I later had the lift pump and the oil pressure switch replaced. But the ultimate culprit to my starting issues was the starter. My starter had severe starter drag; it was not whipping the engine over fast enough. Fast starter speed is essential in starting a diesel. When you grind away on the starter it weakens fast. You grind away because fuel is not getting up to the injector pump because of poor lift pump pressure.

Since I replaced batteries, starter, oil pressure switch and lift pump, my pick up starts very reliably. The above listed items are cheaper than an injector pump.

All the best on solving your starting problem.

RKL

DaveNY
03-06-2007, 22:49
VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Change your fuel filter and clean out the housing before going to the dealer............The most used excuse for not complying with warranty is poor fuel quality or dirt in the fuel.
Good Luck Dave

DmaxMaverick
03-06-2007, 23:19
VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Change your fuel filter and clean out the housing before going to the dealer............The most used excuse for not complying with warranty is poor fuel quality or dirt in the fuel.
Good Luck Dave

Excellent advice!!

Change your air and fuel filter(s) before ever going to the dealer for possible warranty service. Like Dave said, you don't need to give them any reason to deny a claim.

They will use the fuel quality excuse often, but can't explain why it isn't an epidemic. If a fueling station had a tank of bad fuel, it would be news worthy with all the complaints. I've seen it once in over 25 years (that I remember).

Bowtie Fox
03-28-2007, 19:34
Well. I finally took my truck to the dealership.
But before I did, I changed the fuel and air filter as you guys told my to do.

When I removed the old fuel filter, I noticed it was really dark colored, and has these orange, rusty looking patch all around it.
I only drive my truck about 1-2 times every other week, I have a daily driver,
and the truck is for hauling the race car when needed.

I'm thinking maybe water, or some sort of gunk is in the fuel tank. After installing the new filter, i drove the truck around the block and re-checked the filter, just to see if any of that orange junk came back, but it was clean as new.

I drove the truck to the dealer, still having the fuel sensor unplugged. They checked the truck out, plugged the sensor back in, and there has been no problems ever since.

My question is, could a dirty fuel filter, cause a no start problem ??

JDave
03-30-2007, 15:38
I had the same symptoms with my replacement FSD. When I took it off the mount it had 2 loose nut on the transitors. I've got a new one but I am following the advice of GMCTD and did the "loosen and tighten finger tight and then 1/4 turn" and we'll see how long it lasts. Try looking at yours and see if the nuts are loose under the covers.