PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Leak

billschall
03-04-2007, 17:49
OK, but it looks like I've got one small issue. Got oil leaking out of the turbo but can't really tell where it's coming from. Anybody got an idea as to what's causing it?

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=394&limit=recent

john8662
03-04-2007, 18:47
Aww, the leaky boots.

Something I worked around.

The factory boot is likely saturated with oil from the previous engine. The boot still leaks and boost pressure is forcing the oil left overs out of the boot.

Replace it, or upgrade it.

If upgrading, select an online store of your choice that sells silicone (reinforced only) boots of a 2.5" ID and replace the boot with that.

Heck, you can even pick your color. But, you're limited to Blue, Red, Black and Yellow.

J

billschall
03-04-2007, 19:49
If you are referring to the short piece of hose as the boot - mine's new from the Stealer. I checked the band clamps and tightened them down some more.

Is that amount of oil normal? That's after running a short 20 mile trip!

gmctd
03-04-2007, 21:31
Those joints are normally sealed with gray RTV - you'll need to degrease everything with lacquer thinner, first.

Then, engine idling at op temp, pull the dipstick

Place a 36" length of 3/8" clear vinyl tubing ove the dipstick tube

Place the open end in a container of water

Keep it much lower than the dipstick tube - prevents water in the crankcase

At 2000rpm, the water should rise in the tube about 1-2"

The higher the water level in the tube, the more restrictive the air filter - dirty, wet, etc.

Bubbles in the water means excess blow-by

If it blows all the water outta the container, ya gots really big problems.

But, the test should give you some indication of how much oil to expect thru the CDR

john8662
03-05-2007, 01:12
Oil looks black, I doubt your engine oil is already black.

Did you dis-assemble the turbo (remove compressor) and clean?

Residual oil left in CDR tube and turbo compressor housing perhaps.

The factory boots were RTV'ed on, made it difficult to remove, and re-apply appropriatly.

Get a thicker Silicone boot/coupler, you'll like.

J

billschall
03-05-2007, 08:00
New CDR & air filter. Did gmctd's test. No bubbles, got about 3-4" of H2O up the tube. According to gmctd, this indicates increased restriction in the air filter, but it's brand new. Does this mean it needs cleaned?

Turbo was off and cleaned, but not disassembled. Periodically squirted some oil into the supply port while sitting on the bench to prevent seals from drying out, so all oil should be new.

Tightened down the band clamps on the turbo boot (w/o RTV) and got no leaks on the way to work this AM. But, I guess that oil is running back through the intake? Seems excessive to me, but may be the way it's designed? At least the EGR has been...deactivated, so there won't be any tar buildup like before.

gmctd
03-05-2007, 12:08
The test on a true manometer would indicate ~4-6" H20, so that may be correct for the test on that lazy-man's ometer.............

Pull the air filter off at the elbow, re-run the test for comparison.

Compare the oil on the dipstick to that seepage - that is just condensed crankcase vapors leaked out under Boost pressure.

Remembering that as the vapors condense as the engine cools, you get raw crankcase oil.

The screen in the valve-cover should help vapors to condense and precipitate out while the engine is running

Clean all and RTV the boot and you won't see that - 'cept maybe where the compressor housing isn't RTV-sealed to the cartridge flange.

That stuff is good leak indicator.

As your engine runs on light oil, the vapors may add to your fuel economy a bit, eh?