PDA

View Full Version : Need to monitor NV4500 fluid level

jroush
03-05-2007, 18:51
Just had my 96 GMC K2500 with NV4500 5 Speed towed home - complete with 5th wheel attached. The main shaft on the tranny sheared, burned out, disentegrated - however you want to say it. It was a rebuilt unit installed about 8000 miles / 9 months ago with a 6 month warranty. I checked it during the fall, about 3000 miles back, and the fluid level was good. Pulled a fifth wheel from Missouri to Louisiana and about 500 miles back before everything turned loose. Back home in KC, I checked and the tranny was dry inside - couldn't touch any fluid with a finger. Had not had any signs of leakage, so not sure what caused it to disappear so quickly.

I need to figure out a way to monitor the fluid level on the replacement tranny, so it doesn't do the same.

Does anyone know of an electronic sensor, guage, or such made for or adapable to the NV4500 which would let me keep an eye on things while on the road? If so, please provide details, source, etc.

Questions? Suggestions?

Thanks, John
jdroush1@sbcglobal.net

1996 GMC Sierra SLE K2500 6.5 and built for towing
1992 Avion 29.5 Fifth wheel

a5150nut
03-05-2007, 19:06
I'm sure if you have enough $$$$ there is a sensor of some sorts out there. An oil temp guage would let you know when its low by the increased temps. There was a link a couple topics back that had monitoring switches to work light or shut down.

I bet if you check the transfer case its over full. The seal in between goes out and all your oil heads to the back.

jroush
03-06-2007, 13:20
Reasonable suggestion. I will check the TC.
Thanks, John

a5150nut
03-06-2007, 19:36
John,

I left my TC over full for a while untill I could get to replacing the seal. It's not that bad to do. But if you drain it down the migration starts all over again..........

Turbo Al
03-07-2007, 18:40
I put an ordinary trans temp guage in my NV500 it does not tell you it there is any fluid in just the temp of trans. I always back off when it hits 200. Under heavy tow conditions you can put an extra quart of oil in the trans a lot of the Dodge guys do this up here. Mine has never even been low so I am no help at all as to what happened to your fluid. I have heard of it draining back into the transfercase as well.
Al

jroush
03-09-2007, 06:40
Morning all,

Got under the truck yesterday, pulled the fill plug on the Transfer Case and drained about 3 quarts of excess fluid. Looks like there was a significant failure there. Back in the 70's, I had an IHC which had a slow leak and would add about a pint to the tranny maybe every 10K miles, and occasionally drain the excess from the TC. Never anything this dramatic where so much was pushed or pulled into the TC that the tranny went bad.

Limited searching for reasons points to possible vibration or out of round conditions. Will check that when I pull the units in the next couple of days. Weather here has been mediocre and the garage isn't big enough for the truck and all the 'stuff'.

Thanks, John