PDA

View Full Version : Supply versus need

Mitchagain
03-06-2007, 15:32
I have been posting on other sites, trying to get a feel for the "laws of supply & demand" . So all you 'cookers', chime in please!

Ok, I have been monitoring and reading dozens of sites with the "how to" and "I made this" and all that jazz. Now I have to say that I have had more than a passing interest in Bio for a very long number of years, because I am frugal (can you spell cheap) and not "green". That said, I will build a unit - Appleseed, Pearseed, Grapeseed, I don't care what its called, so long as it does the job. BUT, specifically, how much time or difficulty is there in gathering sufficient quantity of WVO, VO, etc., to make a tankful of BIO every week or two? Most of the fast food restuarants seem to have commercial outfits collecting for them (at the resturant's cost), here in the Phoenix Valley. The commercial tanks are nicely made and therefore easy to empty and maintain. How do you BIO-dudes setup to have collections at the particular sites? Or do you just go in and say "I can save you money, just give me your oil."??? And by the same token, how much do you get from, say, your average McDonalds or Jiffy Burger?

garysleeman
03-09-2007, 19:01
I've been averaging 20 gallons a week for about 18 months from a local burger joint. My son worked there and started getting the oil for me. My son no longer works there, I get the oil but they never got rid of the commercial dumpster. I've been getting oil from a KFC for a bit and they quickly got rid of their dumpster the owner was happy to save the $75 a month dumping fee. I found 20 gallons just enough for my truck, now with 2 oil sources I'm swimming in oil. Be persistent in your oil quest; leave your name and number. Try Chinese and small restaurants for oil sources. Larger places are hesitant to rely on someone they don't know.

DieselMonk
03-10-2007, 07:04
I had bad luck with big restaurants or restaurant chains. The lil guys no problem to get stuff, but you dunno what you gettn either. Since I am living near the coast next thing I am going to try is fish oil from the fish plants... see what that stuff in my TDI and D-Max does. I know it'll smell like a fish booth at the tail pipe but I don't care and still better than supporting the middle east. ;)

Ah... forgot... just ask for the stuff and tell them that you'll take it for free and they don't have to worry about the recycling if the stuff is decent.

JeepSJ
03-10-2007, 09:29
Mitch...

I'm also in the Phoenix area (Laveen). I have also wanted to play around with brewing bio, but don't have a place to do it. Drop me a note at mjlinder1(at)gmail(dot)com. Maybe we can team up and get something going.

Mark