PDA

View Full Version : Banks LBZ Six-Gun vs. 5 other products

PeterT
03-06-2007, 15:40
Engineering Test Report

Filed by: P. Treydte
Date: 03-01-07
Subject: LBZ Acceleration Competitive Testing

Objective: Compare Banks Six-Gun to stock and competitive products under acceleration test conditions

Overview Summary: In order to determine the operating characteristics of the Banks Six-Gun Diesel Tuner as compared to other available products, acceleration testing was conducted at the Pomona dragstrip. Because the purpose of this test was accurate product comparison, efforts were made to eliminate as many variables as possible between runs. Efforts were NOT made to optimize the results. Therefore, the

PeterT
03-06-2007, 15:41
Subjective Observations

The SuperChips, Bullydog and Hypertech products are relatively low powered, even on their highest settings. Results from those products were unimpressive.

The Edge Juice in its basic configuration was the second slowest product in the field. The Hot File is clearly not worth the additional money that it costs because it simply cannot be used without setting a code, putting the vehicle into a limp condition. The two highest settings with the Edge resulted in the highest opacity readings during the test sequence. Excessive black smoke is an indication of poor tuning.

The PPE Hot+2 Xcelerator has the highest advertised power numbers. The highest level that we could test has an advertised rating of 300 additional flywheel horsepower, yet it was slower in the quarter mile than the Six-Gun on level 6 which has an advertised rating of 100 additional rear-wheel horsepower. This is a clear indication that their advertising claims are inflated. In addition to having bogus advertising numbers, the highest levels of their product are clearly unusable under most conditions due to high exhaust temperatures.

The Bullydog Power Pup had the second highest turbine inlet temperature after the PPE Hot+2 Xcelerator at 1791 degrees F. High EGTs are another indication of poor tuning capabilities. Because this product is a programmer, it does not offer the protection of an EGT limiting feature, therefore it is a very dangerous product to use.

Both the Edge product and the PPE produced unacceptable shifting characteristics.

Peter Treydte
Test Group Manager
Banks Power

Prestonia24
03-06-2007, 17:14
Awesome post, I love these kind of objective results (sorta objective anyways)...

I just wish there was somewhere to find dyno plots of these vehicles, for a basis of comparison.

Also was the 06 LBZ completely stock including Exhaust? Better Intake and Exhaust would certainly lower the EGT numbers, and perhaps make for a better run?

Interesting how the banks kit(s) were still faster even though they were ran when the truck was its heaviest (completely Full tank of fuel).

Any possibility of testing one of John Kennedy's custom tunes? (Kinda interesting thing to ask, considering Banks is doing the testing)

And another thing, when is the Six-Gun coming out for the 06 LBZ?

Petrella
03-06-2007, 17:25
Peter I appreciate your post on this useful information. I ordered the Banks 6 Gun with PowerPDA for my 06 LBZ, on Thursday, and I should be gettin it in a couple days, I did a lot of research and found that Banks was the way to go, because its a safe unit for your drivetrain, plus the dyno testing numbers were better than the comptitors. Now that you posted these results I feel a lot more comfortable with my choice.
Thanks!

Anthony
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 SLT CC SB LBZ/6 Speed
305 70R/16 tires on Eagle 16x10 rims
Chrome wire mesh grille
Alpine Stereo, Navigation, and flip down rear screen
Autometer Cobalt gauges
Mag-Hytec Diff Cover
pics of my truck - http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=12647120&uid=2685617&members=1

Kennedy
03-07-2007, 08:42
Awesome post, I love these kind of objective results (sorta objective anyways)...

I just wish there was somewhere to find dyno plots of these vehicles, for a basis of comparison.

Also was the 06 LBZ completely stock including Exhaust? Better Intake and Exhaust would certainly lower the EGT numbers, and perhaps make for a better run?

Interesting how the banks kit(s) were still faster even though they were ran when the truck was its heaviest (completely Full tank of fuel).

Any possibility of testing one of John Kennedy's custom tunes? (Kinda interesting thing to ask, considering Banks is doing the testing)

And another thing, when is the Six-Gun coming out for the 06 LBZ?

Myself, I've tried to stay away from drawing direct comparisons in my dyno plots etc. I could easily overlay them and show differences, but that would start a big pissing match. Instead, I've tested and posted the results versus mfrs claims and compared to stock baseline. Most other tuner mfrs have also stayed away from this type of marketing.

I guess I need a 6 gun speed loader pda thingamajobber to install on my 2007 and we'll see...

PeterT
03-07-2007, 15:45
Prestonia24,
The truck was completely stock except for each of the tuners being tested. You are correct that added airflow would have an impact on the EGT

Mark Rinker
03-09-2007, 22:58
Interesting information. Q: Would you have posted this if the Banks system had scored in the middle of the pack?

But really - who cares about tenths of seconds when we are talking 15 second quarter mile times? Everyone with a Duramax and a VISA card is doing this everyday. Whats a few tenths when you are in the 15s? What are the relative prices of each product tested? Lots of other considerations here...

Also, this test seems like a departure from Banks own mantra of 'letting it breathe' before adding more fuel. Discussions of exhaust smoke are moot if you are running stock intake, boost levels, and exhaust. A simple air filter change alone could change your results by burning some of that black smoke. Or add some
more boost and watch EGTs fall, the smoke clear up, and the field results shuffle.

How about something 'real world' - like a comparative towing test, and some MPG comparisons over a distance of 500 miles or so.

More Power
03-10-2007, 13:54
Peter, come on up to MT this July.... Real world, real hill, real load... (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff2006c.htm) Both web and print coverage.... ;)

Thanks for posting the info. Competition is tough out there in the aftermarket community, and more info is always better than too little.

Jim

Petrella
03-12-2007, 18:12
Just installed the 6 Gun with PowerPDA on my 06 LBZ today, and i cant get this smirk off my face! unbelievable! ive never drove a chipped diesel until this afternoon. I set the tune on #7 (SL) and did a 0-60 mph trial time, and my truck did that in 6.09 seconds. the tires just lit up in 1st gear, 2nd gear still screamin, and got a chirp in third, nice firm shifting, no hard banging, was pretty smooth. Boost pressure was 31 psi, and egt was at 851. Im wondering if i can get a better time in 4 wheel drive, cause i laid a lot of rubber in 2wd. wanted to ask you peter, which setting should i keep it for normal everyday driving to increase my mpg?, as time goes by i will let everyone know what mpg gains i get.

thanx
ANTHONY

2tough2park
03-25-2007, 17:41
Just installed the 6 Gun with PowerPDA on my 06 LBZ today, and i cant get this smirk off my face! unbelievable! ive never drove a chipped diesel until this afternoon. I set the tune on #7 (SL) and did a 0-60 mph trial time, and my truck did that in 6.09 seconds. the tires just lit up in 1st gear, 2nd gear still screamin, and got a chirp in third, nice firm shifting, no hard banging, was pretty smooth. Boost pressure was 31 psi, and egt was at 851. Im wondering if i can get a better time in 4 wheel drive, cause i laid a lot of rubber in 2wd. wanted to ask you peter, which setting should i keep it for normal everyday driving to increase my mpg?, as time goes by i will let everyone know what mpg gains i get.

thanx
ANTHONY

06 LBZ here. Keep me posted!

Ponderosa JT
03-29-2007, 12:10
A comment on the shift characteristics;
Peter states that the Six Gun allows for smooth shifts and the Edge "shift characteristics were sporadic". As I remember, the allison trans goes through a learning period before the trans learns the added power. Jumping for one unit to the next after three runs is not near enough to establish this "learning". I'm impressed that the Six Gun controls the trans and results immediately verses the normal "learning".

Jeff

More Power
04-17-2007, 10:42
Click here (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/cgi-bin/banners/ebanners.cgi?banks2)to see the story on Banks' web site - with audio & video!

Jim

steak2k1
04-22-2007, 23:26
A comment on the shift characteristics;
Peter states that the Six Gun allows for smooth shifts and the Edge "shift characteristics were sporadic". As I remember, the allison trans goes through a learning period before the trans learns the added power. Jumping for one unit to the next after three runs is not near enough to establish this "learning". I'm impressed that the Six Gun controls the trans and results immediately verses the normal "learning".

I too find this somewhat "non" impressive to say the least. In Banks own install guide for the 6 Gun PDA, they tell you right there to do at least 10-15 cycles per Power level starting by warming up the motor in level 1 (stock) and then going to level 2 and starting the learning cycle. (just installed last week and I'm still learnin the Ally.) Now on L3 and going to L4 this week.

Anyway the main reason I bought this system was 3 fold:

1: I already had a Palm TX and was able to retro it to the PDA holder and make it work.
2: I like the fuel limiting features of the system.
3: The number of gauges able to be viewed on the PDA is impressive and it saves on having to buy a gauge pillar...which in my opinion is a bit of a pain given their position in the cab. And all the info is digital as opposed to an analog dispaly.

But I would also like to hear from anyone that has one installed & what their experience has been for MPG.....my main reason for installing anyones programmer/chip. Personally I don't give Rat's (_/\_) about whether this system is faster than anyone elses...so far, it worx for me.:D

rgds,

stk

Petrella
04-24-2007, 19:41

thanx
ANTHONY

Had the Banks 6 Gun installed on my 06 LBZ now for just over a month. Always leave it on setting SL (speed loader) or #7. Ive already got 2 mpg gain just driving around the city, and some highway without towing a trailer. I am very happy with it so far, power increase is unbelievable. Not to many guys can beat me off the line or pass on the highway.