PDA

View Full Version : Torsion Bar Identification

Kick Ass Matt
03-06-2007, 17:02
This is my first post on the forum here. The reason I joined up is because I just got myself a 1994 Chevy K2500 Suburban w/8600 GVWR. No mods as yet and I used "Kick Ass Matt" as a user name is because I also subscribe to a whole bunch of other car forums and don't want to remember a whole bunch of different user names; it was a name given to me when I was an engineering student in college.

So here is my problem:
I want to redo the front end of my truck, includes upper/lower control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rods, pitman/idler arms, drag/center link, steering box, shocks and any other associated bushings/links/joints that I had left out.

In the process of tightening up the front, I also want to carnk up my t-bars to anticipate for a hydraulic winch + winch bumper. I don't want to carnk up the bars that are on their now because
A. They are 13 years old, 13 years of salted roads old...
B. I was told GM has 3 different catagories of T-bars for the said truck and I want the heavier one.

So I called my local GM dealer and gave them my VIN and RPO codes and was told that my truck has the middle weight bars. He gave me the bar number for the bar that I got and what the heavy bar was but I left it in my office, I am at home now and I already located a set of bars in a bone yard and they only want 80 bucks for the 2.

I don't want to go to the bone yard, pick up the bars and only find out that they are the same ones that are on my truck now. Does anyone here have the bar numbers???

Please help
Matt from Toronto

Kick Ass Matt
03-06-2007, 18:35
Actually I found it, Thanks for all who looked at my post...

a5150nut
03-06-2007, 19:29
Welcome to the Forum. And we'll try to be a little more helpfull next time! :)

DA BIG ONE
03-07-2007, 05:47
Think you are looking at bars w/rating of 10,000+ lbs "way too much bar", & I'm thinking way too harsh a ride under all conditions.

I run a WARN classic bumper/winch mount/brush guards/& add on scoop under bumper to keep the diesel cool, then there is the 12,000 hydro milemarker winch all w/8600+ lb troson bars. What is needed is better shocks or multi shocks for best ride/control.

As for turning up torson bar key, measure height w/o aftermarket items, then after install if cranking keys are needed crank only to the height w/o add ons, this will allow full motion of suspension.

a5150nut
03-07-2007, 08:47
If you can get some of the Snow Plowers to chime in here, they run Timberlin air bags on the front. But those plows add a LOT more weight than a winch. Just another option...........

DA BIG ONE
03-07-2007, 12:13
I had used AirLift's 3 stage control arm stub bushing kit developed for snow plow use, bad choice as it sat on control arm always, cut off 2 stages and happy with ride again......