PDA

View Full Version : intercooler

9365turbo
03-07-2007, 19:07
How much of the inner fender did anybody cut away to install a intercooler with 3" piping? Did you have to use a 45 degree angle reducer on the turbo outlet? Anybody with pictures? Thanks

atom_c
03-07-2007, 21:35
I cut away about an inch (in a four inch arc), and then realized afterward that I might not have needed to cut any. If you search webshots.com for "6.5 diesel intercooler" you will come up with some pictures including mine. Hope this helps.

Adam

DickWells
03-08-2007, 19:00
:) If you're talking about the angle that I think you are, for turbo outlet, then you don't need an elbow. Just loosen up the turbo housing and turn it down 90 deg. to meet the hump-hose to the IC pipe. That's how it goes for a large SpearCo IC.
DW

9365turbo
03-09-2007, 06:56
I planned on turning the turbo down like you said it just doesnt look like there is a whole lot of room for 3" pipe. i hope tp install it on Sunday.

DickWells
03-09-2007, 20:28
Pretty sure the SpearCo uses 3" pipe. My closest fit (hit) was the re-enforcement tube that goes accross the corner of the frame, right above the idler arm. Ended up cutting it out, after bending it and running for a year. Couldn't ever seem to make it clear, after I got into it and made a few adjustments. The Sub. never missed that support.
DW:)

Slim shady
03-09-2007, 20:35
I used three inch pipe and didn't have to cut much away at all.

Here is a link to the photos of my install.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=2

Slim shady
03-10-2007, 08:35
The inter-cooler project pictures are of a install performed with off the shelf parts except for the intake adapter. I was informed that Pennisular Diesel sells an adapter for this.

The only cutting was a very small amount on the inner fender well. It was a 1 inch by 2 inch rectangle, the inner fender metal can be bent out with a wooden handle and flared to accept the three inch pipe with almost no cutting at all.

The rubber is to keep the pipe quite, and from rubbing the frame. The inner fender lip also has fuel line on the inside lip for noise and to keep the pipe from rubbing it as well.

The tires do not hit the pipe in any way and don't even come close. The scoop and frame were my idea. I didn't like the up in the frame mount. this way I can drop two bolts and remove the inter-cooler and scoop as a unit.

The inter-cooler has never been operated in over 72 degree weather yet, but it has been on a 1200 mile trip. The unit performed well and never went over 10 degrees above ambient temp even on a five mile 6% grade. It was only at 8 psi boost, I wasn't hauling anything.

I run a GM-8 with a ported turbine housing and run 15 to 16 psi max boost. The GM-8 won't give much over that. I run a 4.10 gear set and need the boost in the 1500 to 3000 rpm range.

JeffsTowTruck
03-14-2007, 06:03
I just took some channel locks and bent the lower lip of the apron out a little and the pipe cleared. No cutting. I could take a couple pics if you want to see.